Learning new Bible Truths has been especially fun and thrilling for me. I have allowed my mind and heart to be open and receptive to Yah's leadings and teachings. It's amazing what can happen when we hush our own thoughts and opinions and are still, listening to His voice.
Many people think the KJV Bible is the true, inerrant word of Yah...no errors, just a perfect masterpiece. I am a KJV girl myself, but I do know of a few of the many mistakes this Bible has. I am not KJV-only, I just prefer it...till I find something better. =)
Some of those KJV only people are just down right scary....lol.
So, anywho, back to my findings...
I took my Strong's Concordance and began doing some research.
I started with the word JAH (which can be found in Psalm 68:4).
Strongs #: 3050 says Yahh.
Next word I went to was JEHOVAH (can be found in Ex. 6:3, Psalm 83:18, Is. 12:2, Is. 26:4).
Strongs #: 3068 says Yehovah
Next word, JEHOVAH JIREH (can be found in Genesis 22:14)
Strongs #: 3070 says Yehovah Yireh
Next word, JEHOVAH NISSI (can be found in Exodus 17:15)
Strongs #: 3071 says Yehovah Nicciy
Next word, JEHOVAH SHALOM (can be found in Judges 6:24)
Strongs #: 3073 says Yehovah Shalowm
Next word, Jesus
Strongs #: 2424 says Iesous
Next word, God
Strongs #'s :
410 - El
430 - Elohiym
3068 - Yehovah
3069 - Yehovih
Next and final word (for now), LORD
Strongs #'s:
113 - Adon (Adoni)
136 - Adonay
3068 - Yehovah
I was reading up on the letter 'J' and funny thing...it's not even a letter in the Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic alphabet. It's a fairly new letter really, about 450-500 years old. It doesn't go back to Jesus' day as we may think it does. =)
So why are we walking around not calling "Jesus" by His real given name Yeshua (or Yahshua, etc)?
Doesn't that bother you? Well it does me. Hence the reason I felt led to research it out.
Before you roll your eyes and over exaggerate, I ask that you take a moment to read a few of these articles to better help you understand where I am coming from.
http://www.remnantofyhwh.com/Backup%20of%20No%20J%20in%20Hebrew.htm
http://www.iesous.org/
http://www.fossilizedcustoms.com/transliteration.html
Now, there are some old, old, KJV's with Jesus' name Iesous in there instead. I bet the rest of the 'J' names are somewhat almost fixed to their literal translation as well.
I am not being legalistic, I am simply sharing what I am finding. You can take it and research with me or leave it.
I am only scraping the surface of this topic. I have so much yet to learn, but this is a starting point on this topic for me and I am excited! \o/ HalleluYAH! \o/
I am an open vessel Yahweh, continue to teach, mold, and shape me according to Your will!
Blessings,
Dawn
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Saying goodbye to "Jesus", "God", & "Lord".
Posted by Dawn at 12:07 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
Question....You said about bibles. Have you ever tried "The Complete Jewish Bible"?
I love it.
(You can answer me via email if you want or on here)
Thanks for sharing your desires to be closer with God. There's nothing better! My only question is this... (and please don't take this that I'm being devisive). Do you believe that all nationalities should call God by the Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic languages or should they speak in their language? For instance, in Spanish, Jesus is pronounced "heysoos". I'm just curious your thoughts.
Blessings,
Darelina
Hmmm... this I found interesting in the links you provided. :)
"THE REAL NAME OF THE MESSIAH
ONE OF THESE TWO IS OF RECENT ORIGIN, AND THEREFORE A FRAUD:
JESUS? OR YAHUSHA?
“YAHUSHA” means “Yah is our deliverer” in Hebrew. “JESUS” seems to convey “hail Zeus” in Greek, and “the horse” in Hebrew (he-soos)."
Okay... one more question. Do you think that the apostles who wrote in Greek and translated the Greek name of Yehusha were wrong? I'm just wondering, since I didn't see that addressed in the links. What's your take?
Darelina,
Neat find in the links I gave, huh?
=) Maybe that helped answer your question...
Regardless of nationality, Yeshua wasn't called 'heysoos' a.k.a. Jesus. Do you see what I mean, Heysoos (boy we botched that spelling I think...lol), just means Jesus except it's Spanish.
Okay I think I confused myself...lol.
I know there are many more readings available online.
It's up to us as children of Yah to find the truth out.
Well, if they are wrong, then what would our Saviour be called?
Good questions Darelina...too bad I am unqualified at the moment to answer them for you. =) That is something to Google though, huh?
Have you ever wondered why the translators for the KJV and other Bibles took out YHWH and Yeshua's name and replaced it?
Always learning...
Actually Darlina, It was proven recently that unlike what many are taught, the New Testament was written first in Hebrew and then translated to Greek. Which actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it. You are talking about a bunch of common men who were 100xs more comfortable talking in Hebrew then greek.
Thanks Kristen! I wasn't aware that they wrote in Hebrew for Greek audiences. That's interesting. :)
Dawn... I appreciate your study. Its got my brain a' thinkin'! lol
AMEN!!
I found your link off another blog...yes, the word "Jesus" is just that- a word! Not a name, and not the Savior's name! "Yeshua" or "Yehoshua" means "Yehovah's Salvation"....what a beautiful picture, is it not?
I just had to comment, I was so excited to see this post!! ;)
Blessings!
Miss Toria
www.pure-little-ladies-ministry.blogspot.com
The Douay-Rheims is a great translation ~ it's a literal word for word translation of the ancient Latin Vulgate which is a word for word translation of the ancient Hebrew and Greek texts.
Personally I try not to get to hung up with things having to be in their original Hebrew or Greek form. We are neither Hebrew nor Greek! Times change and the main languages shift as well. Saying "Jesus" does not invalidate nor diminish our Lord and Savior in any way.
Not getting 'hung up', but I do think it is important to call the people of the Bible by their actual names.
Those OT names are going to be a doozy for me to pronounce...hee hee.
<3 u!
Thanks for this post! It's been something I've been pondering lately. I'll read over those links you included.
I'm sorry to correct what Kristenmom said, but the Gospels were written in Greek. Luke, for instance, was a Greek-speaker. No one "spoke" Hebrew at the time of the gospels. The only gospel that might have been written in Hebrew would be Matthew, and that is speculative. Orthodox teaching says that the apostle Thomas went to India with a Hebrew gospel, probably the prototype of what we now know as "Matthew." If we assoicate Matthew with Levi, this would make some sense, that he might write in Hebrew. Just about everyone in Palestine 2000 years ago spoke Aramaic and Greek. Hebrew was used only in synagogue and temple.
Just a reminder, that YHWH is never pronounced by Jews, and the word`Ă€donai` is substituted, meaning Lord.
I don`t usually do this, but I will qualify myself for these comments. I have a 7 year theological education, and studied Greek, Hebrew and Latin.
Magdalena,
I take it would would disagree with these sites then...
www.pure-little-ladies-ministry.blogspot.com
http://searchwarp.com/swa413703.htm
http://www.search-the-scriptures.org/hebrew_new_testament.htm
http://www.menorah.org/askpr3.html
http://www.mashiyach.com/hebrew.htm
http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/2_newtestament.html
Just to give a few
Interesting . . . I don't do much research in regards to Greek and Hebrew bible translations - names or verses. This is the first time that I have heard about this. I will have to do some research on the links you provided sometime. Thanks for sharing.
Your answer: Arimaic English New Testament by Andrew Gabriel Roth
Post a Comment