BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

---- Car Update! ---

Okay, here's the latest on our car situation.

We had it towed to the dealership here in town. They called us a few hours later and said the water completely destroyed the motor and we would need a new one. The price: $5,800, that includes labor.

That doesn't guarantee nothing else is wrong with the car. I asked the man on the phone if he could spot anything else, like in the fuel lines or what not and he said as far as he could see things looked okay but he wouldn't know a definite answer till a new motor was put in. Lovely right?

So Robert and I sat there and threw around ideas and one of them was to see if we can do the Cash 4 Clunkers thing. If so we'd get a few grand, take a few grand from the savings and get ourselves a used car.

We called the dealership and gave them our info and what not and they called us back and said we did not qualify for it because the Cavalier got too many MPG's. Figures...

Then we asked about a trade in. The man said he would do some figuring and then call us back.
Mind you, the Cavalier is 6 years old, has 67,000 miles and was in excellent condition till this.
The man called back and said they'd give us $200 for the car. *insert mouth drop here*.

With those options exhausted, we did the next best thing, got in the rental car and drove to some dealerships in search of a used car.

We went to 3 dealerships. First one being Toyota. Our salesman was of no help. It didn't help he just walked off and left us in the parking lot and no one else bothered to help us so we left. Your loss suckers!!!! :-)~

Next dealership was Honda. They had some nice cars, but, most of there used cars were severely over priced. For the price they wanted for a used car, we could have gotten a brand new one, ya know?

It was over 100 degrees and the sun was blazing hot and we just about decided to go home when we went to the Chevy dealership (can always count on Chevy, right?).
It's amazing...we were helped right away and they had a good selection of used cars that fit our budget.
After 25 minutes we found the car you see in pictures below.
It's a 2008 Mazda3. Sweeeeeet, a 2008! :-) Has under 25,000 miles on it and can pass cars up on the expressway in nanoseconds. :-P

It still had a factory warranty on it which will run out in a year / year and a half, and after much calculations and figuring, we decided to take the full coverage extended warranty the dealership was offering. I mean, it covers...just about EVERYTHING! Well, except tune ups. Everything else is covered (including oil changes, tire rotations). We got a GPS theft system in it, got nitrous filled tires instead of regular air, also if one of us gets sick or dies, they take over payments for us till the car is paid. It covers the fuel system, electrical system, towing, rental cars, etc, etc, etc. This extended warranty stays in effect till the car is paid off.

We didn't leave the dealership till almost 10 p.m. last night...you know...tons of paperwork to fill out and what not.

We put $6,000 cash down and they gave us the keys last night.

Now, what about the Cavalier, you ask? Well, Robert thought it was a good idea to just keep the car and have our private mechanic work on it as money provides (he's the one who fixed our a/c in it a few months back and is totally trustworthy). So we will have the car towed back to our house this week sometime.


Then when it's fixed, we will have 2 cars!
We couldn't give up the Cavalier...it's an antique! Since they don't make them anymore. :-)

Our insurance didn't really go up all that much at all. I am really surprised!

And now...ladies and gentleman, I present to you:

The Beast II: (Cavalier is known as The Beast)





You know...I may just keep the blog up a few more weeks and chat with you all...we'll see. I think I am just too lazy to copy everything so I can delete it. :-)

Now, I must go face that nightmare known as Wal-Mart!

Later peeps!

7 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Jack and I prefer buying used cars. Most of ours were once rental cars and very well cared for. Plus you get lots more of the fun gadgets! Yours is so adorable. Sounds like you got plenty of fun goodies. Gotta love those warranties! We have something similar as well! Congrats you kids!

Innisfree in Alaska said...

wow that has a cool inside. I am happy for you.

IdahoAngie said...

Grats! Can I say for a sedan it is a sexy looking "beast?"

And we had a similar experience with Toyota a few years back which is why we will NEVER own one used or new. And we love toyota but the bad experience put a bad taste in our mouth and it happened at more then one toyota dealership. I don't know where those people get off acting all high and mighty.. You utimately pay their paycheck. They get commission off their sales. You would THINK they would want you to buy a car!

Anonymous said...

It looks so comfy and nice. Congratulations Dawn.

Cassandra said...

Congrats on the awesome new car!

Darelina said...

I hope you'll stay up. I enjoy your blog, even if I don't comment often.

Nellashara said...

Yay Dawn.. Hooah! Flex that consumer muscle!