There are three basic camps when it comes to Eschatology.
*Premillenial - Jesus Christ comes and rapture the church and returns 7 years later and liteally reigns on this earth for 1000 years. (millennium = 1000 years)
*Amillenial – When Christ comes it is the end. The wicked go to hell and the righteous go to heaven. No millennial reign.
*Post Millenial – Christ is reigning now and when he comes back there will be peace on the earth.
*Premillenial - Jesus Christ comes and rapture the church and returns 7 years later and liteally reigns on this earth for 1000 years. (millennium = 1000 years)
*Amillenial – When Christ comes it is the end. The wicked go to hell and the righteous go to heaven. No millennial reign.
*Post Millenial – Christ is reigning now and when he comes back there will be peace on the earth.
Then there is Pre-Trib and Mid Trib and Post Trib.
*Pre-trib = Christ will rapture the church before the 7 year tribulation.
*Mid-trib – The Church goes through half of the 7 year tribulation and then Christ comes for his Church,
*Post Trib – Christ comes for his church *after* the 7 year tribulation.
~ Personally, I guess I would sum myself up as pre millenial and pre-trib as that's what I perceive so far in my limited knowledge of the Bible.
What that said, truthfully it doesn't matter which branch of Eschatology we claim (to and extent that is), we need to be living for God every single day as we don't know when our time will be up.
But I thought I would give this post a shot and hear your answers. :-)
Always learning,
Dawn

16 comments:
Hi Dawn!! I *LOVE* the new layout --- I've always read you in my feed and hadn't seen the 'new digs' ~ they look great...
I realize I will be the center of much prayer after saying this (!!) but I don't believe in a rapture...
That said, I completely respect everyone's beliefs & constantly strive for religious tolerance for all of us...
It's always interesting to learn about why others believe as they do & that's the main reason I *LOVE* reading your blog!! It's so educational for me!! :)
Hugs to you!!
My husband doesn't believe in the Rapture either...as he is Catholic as well. :-)
No harm done to me.
It's good to hear from you again! When I posted this new layout, it deleted all my blogs I used to read and now I am having trouble trying to remember who all was on my list.
You were on there, so thank you for stopping by! :-)
Bless you!
Dawn
I am Premillenial and Pretrib
I think it does matter to an extent what you believe. Because if you don't believe in the millennial reign on Christ you are denying a part of the bible.
I can understand the pre, post, mid tribulation debate. I get that
But to deny the millennial reign of Christ is to deny part of the bible and a person who does that needs to read through Revelation again.
Hey Dawn, good question. Growing up in the Assembly of God, it never occurred to me that there was anything BUT premellinialism. lol.
But I have since learned that it's actually a minority view.
I would describe myself as "historical premellinial" because the plain reading of scripture shows me a literal, coming, 1000 year reign, but I don't agree with the modern prophecy-writers' timelines and such. It seems to me, from passages like Mat 24, that Christians will be present for the tribulation period, and it scares me to think of it, but I hope I can trust in God anyway.
As Kristen said, it does matter. #1, we have to believe the Bible. #2, eschatology really effects our other beliefs. I'm too tired to explain it now, but what we believe about the return of Christ is related to what we believe about Israel, among other things.
I have no clue where I stand on the millenial/trib issue - a wise youth pastor once told us he didn't know either - he's just hoping for pre-trib while being prepared for post-trib : )
I'd LOVE to have some other old lacy curtains to work with! If you want, go ahead and email me ecc34atimetolaugh[at]gmail[dot]com
I'll throw a different position at you...I'm pre wrath. Some believe that all of Revelation is God's wrath...I don't. If you read Revelation 10:7 and Revelation 11:15-19, I believe this gives us an idea...around the seventh trumpet. As for the millenial kingdom, I believe in a literal 1000 year reign which is when certain promises to Israel will be fulfilled but the Bride (the church) will be there too! With all this said, I respect the other positions and it is certainly not anything to divide over. We will know when we know!
Great new look to your blog!
Thanks for this thought-provoking post. It's one of the areas I've spent time on in the past but not much these days. I don't believe it's a salvation issue, thus, an extra.
I guess I'd be Amillenial.
Seems to jive most with the historical Reformational views on all the issues. But then again, not necessary for salvation.
One thing we all agree on.
Jesus Christ is returning.
Get ready. Amen.
I most certainly belive in the tribulation and I certainly believe in Christ's literal 1000 year reign. With regard to the rapture ... well, basically I've heard so many very convincing and different teachings/speculations on the subject, I honestly can't say where I stand. I certainly do believe that the end times have begun - don't know how long they'll last, don't know if the rapture will be pre, mid, or post tribulation. The Bible tells us that ONLY God the Father knows the hour Christ will return. We humans can speculate and decifer right up to the moment it all happens and I think our calculations would still be wrong - Again, only God the Father knows the exact hour. So, from where I sit, it's best to live with a repentant heart and be prepared at all times.
Thanks for the great thought provoking post.
All this talk about the rapture and post trib etc has only been around for aobut 100 years. I prefer to go back 2000 years myself and believe that we will be judged as soon as we die - the particular judgement and then at the end of the world there will be the general judgement.
Dawn I think you got it right when you said What that said, truthfully it doesn't matter which branch of Eschatology we claim (to and extent that is), we need to be living for God every single day as we don't know when our time will be up.
I'm pre-mil, but last trump (in between mid and post). I also believe that the Rapture & 2nd Coming of Christ are the same thing. I don't see them as 2 seperate events.
But like the others, I don't judge anyone for holding a different view on this. I use to be Pre-mil, pre-trib until DH & I studied it out more.
Hey Dawn,
I am pretty much pre-millenial and pre-trib but have heard some interesting feedback on this lately. I'm interested in digging in a little to learn what I really think. My current beliefs on this are more or less what I have learned from others up until now.
Great topic to blog on :)
Well as a good little Southern Baptist girl I am premil and pretrib. :)
The problem with that is I have been shown in the Bible where it could be a little different from my pretrib leanings. So I have decided to be like Michelle. I am hoping for pretrib but ready for anything. :)
I do believe in the literal return and reign of Jesus. So I am 100 percent premil.
Clear as mud? :)
The Bible says that Christ will come and the dead in christ will rise first.The wicked will be burned up from the brightness of his coming and the righteous will meet Jesus in the air.We will be with Jesus in Heaven 1,000 years,the devil will roam on the earth with no one to torment. Then GOD's kingdom the new Jerusalem will come on earth.The wicked will be resurrected and judged.Then they will burn in hell fire until they are stubble.We will live in eternal bliss with GOD and Jesus.
I am not sure...I've read the book of Revealation several times and I just don't understand it! So when people give me their opinions on this (and they are usually quite passionate about it!) I just listen and say hmm. I still don't know! I guess I will find out eventually.
You forgot a major catagory! Pan-Millenial = The belief that it will all pan out in the end! ; D
I waited to answer because I didn't want to cause any trouble for you when people wondered what kind of a fruit-loop you allow to comment here! ;)
I don’t think I fit into any ‘camp’ as it were. I believe that we will endure tribulation. Why else would we be given warning as to what to look for and what to avoid (2 Peter 3:17, Amos 5:18, Revelation 13)? I know many believe that verses in Jeremiah and Revelation mean that only Israel will endure the tribulation, but that requires replacement or separationist theology, which are contrary to scripture. We as believers are grafted in to Israel (Romans 11 and 2:28) We are part of Jacob, so Jacob’s trouble will be our own. Scripture also tells us that those who endure will be blessed (Matthew 24:13, James 5:11
I also do not believe we will dwell in ‘heaven’ with Yahweh, but here on earth after it has been purified. Think on these two things: 1. Elohim made earth for man to dwell on and came to earth to dwell with man. All of this was before sin, so it would have been the eternal arrangement were it not for sin. Scriptures speak of the New Jerusalem where we will dwell with the Father, and the language in these passages is not allegorical. 2. The earth groans for redemption, just like believers (Romans 8:18-23). What confuses many is that the earth is said to be destroyed by fire and a new heaven and a new earth created. Is it so impossible to imagine the new earth is the same earth after being purified when the souls of the damned are thrown into the lake of fire?
So I believe we will endure tribulation, be caught up in the air just before the wrath is poured out (which will purify the earth and wipe away the lost) and then return to earth with Yeshua where he will reign. Part of that thinking is also that the dead are asleep, not in heaven or hell. Everyone will face judgment at the same time. But that’s a whole different discussion!
Post a Comment