BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 5, 2008

~~ Friday thoughts ~~

Oogling the Christmas stuff at Cracker Barrel.

Mmmmm fresh candy corn...yum! :-)~


I have begun building back my cookbook collection. These came from a variety of places; Half-Price books, Barnes & Noble (their clearance rack), Hobby Lobby, Cracker Barrel and Costco. Did you know you can get Gooseberry Patch cookbooks at Costco for only $10! Do you see that blue cookbook next to the Beverly Lewis one? Well, I originally had that exact one in my last collection. I had gotten it a few years ago in Indiana when I was there. It's an Amish cookbook made by the Indiana Amish folks. When my collection was stolen I didn't know if I would have to go back to Indiana to get that book again or not. One day we were in Half-Price books and there it was! I was like wooohooo! All those other cookbooks in the picture I have never had before. I still have the pictures of my previous collection and in time I plan on getting all those same cookbooks as well, but that will be in time and when money permits.


Get this Yankee Candle! It smells sooooo yummy! Like fresh home baked cookies! It's limited edition so hurry! :-)

We finally took over 4 trash bags full of junk to the Goodwill donation truck today! We have been meaning to do that for, oh, I don't know, 3 weeks now. Now we have more space in the living room. :-)

After we fueled up the car (which we called Enterprise and re rented it for another week), we went to the Cracker Barrel. Robert had lunch and I had their biscuits & gravy. I looooove that stuff. If I had to chose 2 things to eat for the rest of my life it would be biscuits and gravy and Caesar salads.

After eating (which it all was delicious), we oogled everything in the store for at least 20 minutes. They have some beautiful fall / Thanksgiving stuff that I might get one or two things in a few weeks for our new home sweet home as I never really decorated for fall.

And of course they had Christmas stuff up, not all of it the lady said, but just enough to make me all bleary eyed with warm fuzzy feelings...lol. Hey Mom...I saw some stuff you could get me for Christmas if you want! I don't know if your Cracker Barrel sells the same stuff but they got really pretty animated stuff...*hint hint*. :-)

After spending $67 (that includes the $15 for our meal), we left and went to Costco. Thats where I got 4 of the cookbooks seen above. There were 2 ladies in front of me who were as sweet as can be and they allowed me to go in front of them since all I had were the books. That was so nice of them. :-)

When we got home, Robert got called in to work as someone ended up sick, so he is working till closing today which is good as he needs the hours.

He has applied for jobs at Costco, Target, Lowe's, Hobby Lobby, and some other place, I forgot, and is still waiting to hear back from someone. It seems if you want to fill out an application, everything is done online now and not face to face so it takes longer to review the online applications we were told.

Patty and her husband over at Morning Ramble ~ http://morningramble.blogspot.com have graciously invited me and Robert to their house for Thanksgiving! How humbling that was for me too see in my inbox this morning. I asked the hubby if he wanted to go and he said yes, so, yippee!! She even said we can stay the night if we wanted and join her family and go to the Homestead Craft Fair the day after http://www.homesteadcraftfair.com/ and I have been drooling over this website for a few weeks now so who knows, maybe we can go do that as well. It will all depend on Robert's job schedule and all. If nothing else, I might make the trip there myself if the beloved has to work...who knows...we'll see. But...our Thanksgiving day is all set. Thank you so much Patty! You are a blessing to me dear one!

Guess who is going to pay a visit to a conservative Mennonite church this weekend? I am sooo excited! The nearest one is about 45-50 minutes away. That's not too bad at all. I need to get in contact with the minister but no one seems to be answering the phone, I will try again though just to say hello. Patty (mentioned above) said her and Emery might meet me there as well, so I will get doubly blessed! I am hoping the beloved will go with me because I can't drive and read directions at the same time. I think he was milling over the idea before he left for work.

Remember in June or maybe it was May where I blogged about Robert getting $20,000 for separation pay from the Army? Well he called DFAS (the folks who pay the government / military workers) today and they have nothing in their system that says $20,000 will be deposited in our account. The people on base in Germany said it was all taken care of and we double checked with them. The base was shutting down so we figure they could have care less if certain things got done or not. Thankfully it's in Robert's orders that he is to receive that amount so there is proof. The DFAS fellow gave us a number to call the 'separation' people and talk with them since there is no one left in Darmstadt and we tried calling twice but no one answered...grrrr. Robert's really worried he won't get that money so please keep that situation in your prayers. Thank you. :-)

Oh... earlier this week I found our lien release for our car, didn't find the title though, but was happy to have found the lien release nonetheless. So I called the Kansas Revenue (the car was bought in Kansas) and asked them what we would have to do to get a duplicate title. The gentleman was very nice. At first he said to just go online and fill out the form, print it out and send $10. Then he asked for the VIN and he looked it up. Sure enough that was our vehicle, but here's the good news...he said GMAC (who we went through for a loan for the car) had never sent them anything saying that we paid the car off last year, and that meant we never got an official title from Kansas for our car, so the guy said to just go ahead and fax the lien release and our new address and they would get us a title out free of charge ASAP. How cool is that! We couldn't get to Kroger fast enough to fax...lol. That reminds me I forgot to call them today to make sure they did get it...oh well. I hope they are open tomorrow.

Well, that's it for now. Just thought I would drop in and say hello!

God Bless You!

~ Dawn


22 comments:

Unknown said...

45-50 minutes isn't bad. That's are drive every Sunday to church. A good church is worth the drive :)

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday

Unknown said...

I meant our drive not are drive :)

Mrs. B, a very peculiar person said...

I also have the "Beverly Lewis Amish Herritage" Cookbook! I absolutely LOVE Amish and Mennonite Cookbooks. All the recipes are easy, use ingredients almost everyone has on hand, and best of all - DELECIOUS!

"The Amish Cook" by Elizabeth Coblentz with Kevin Williams, "Amish Cooking" by Pathway Publishers, "Cooking with the Horse & Buggy People" by Carlisle Press, "A World Community Cookbook More-With-Less" by Doris Janzen Longacre are in my collection.

My favorite other cookbooks include: "Christ Church Frederica Cookbook, St. Simons Island, GA" (I bought this one while vacationing on St. Simons Island a couple years ago - it contains some of the BEST southern cooking recipes EVER!), "The Texas Cookbook" by Mary Faulk Koock, "Mrs. Restino's Country Kitchen" by Susan Restino, "Bless This Food" by Julia M. Pitkin, Karen B. Grant and George Grant (it's the BEST cookbook for entertaining I've ever found) and "Forgotton Recipes" by Jaine Rodack (wonderfully fablous recipes from the late 1800's and early 1900's).

Well, look what I've gone a done - I've almost posted an entire blog entry in your comment section - Guess it's easy to tell where my interests lie.

In prayer for y'all's financial situation ...

Mrs. B

Heart 4 My Home said...

Dawn,

Thanks for letting me know the link wasn't working correctly for the toothpaste. I have corrected it on my page. Here is the direct link. I apologize for the wild goose chase on the old link. Let me know if this works for you.

http://ahcleanfeeling.com/

~Blessings

Patty said...

Hi Dawn,
be sure to warn hubby that men sit on one side and women on the other side of the church. It can seem kinda strange to someone that has never done that before and no musical instruments.

Joanna said...

Hi Dawn, I've been enjoying hearing from you on my blog the last few days. Thank you! I really like the words on your header. "One can never over obey God so it pleases me to please the Lord." Lately my hubby keeps saying "Just seek to please Jesus in everything." Like when I get myself on worked up on some issue, that is his answer to me.

Me said...

Well Dawn, leave it to the Army to "forget" to give you guys your separation money. I don't think I need to tell you at this point you will have to harass and harass everyone until you get that money. It's unfortunate, but almost everything about the army is, isn't it?

I'm very jealous that you got to go to Cracker Barrel, which happens to be my favorite restaurant ever. Biscuits and gravy is my favorite also!!! Luckily I can almost duplicate the recipe here at home so I don't have to go completely without.

Kris said...

TEN DOLLARS at Costco? Okay, that's just awesome, I missed having those cookbooks!!!

That's ridiculous (but not surprising) about the money Robert was supposed to get. Seomehow, the military always manages to mess something financial up. Hopefully it gets cleared up soon, that's a lot of money to have lost in the system!

Shannon said...

Oooh, are those some Gooseberry Patch cookbooks I see amongst your collection? I love those.

I hope your financial mess gets cleared up soon!

Laura Ashley said...

I worked at as a waitress at a Cracker Barrel for a year and a half. They say working at a place will make you sick of the food- NOT true in my case. lol I LOVE the biscuits!

As Simply As We Can said...

My goodness you have been busy! I *love* Cracker Barrell! It's my favorite resturant. I would be beside myself if someone stole all my recipe books! I collect the older Southern Living books. I really like the ones from the 70's and 80's. Now and then I'll find one that I like that was from the 90's, but for the most part I like the older ones. I also love the Taste Of Home cookbooks and magazines. I actually got a couple of recipes published in those.

Our drive to church is about 35 minutes. You get used to it after a while. My husband doesn't attend with us either, so I know how that can be.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Monica said...

Best of wishes with your church visit. Be sure to let us know how it goes. :)

Sarah said...

Dawn, the twins on my blog are the children I watch during the day. I wish I was related to them... they are precious! Yes, Lisa Smith is an amazing woman! I hope you enjoyed visiting her website... she inspires me so! If someone with a disability can praise God with every fiber of her being, why can't I? What is my excuse? She is awesome! I LOVE Cracker Barrel! They are pretty much the only place I can find Gooseberry Patch cookbooks in this area, and their biscuits are simply the best I have ever tasted! Shhh... don't tell my mother-in-law!:) Praise God! I am so happy that you and Robert are attending church together tomorrow! I hope you enjoy!

Barb said...

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who loves to collect cookbooks...lol.

Anna said...

I had biscuits & gravy at Cracker Barrel last week...MMmmmm!!

We'll pray for that money to come through. Keep pestering and praying! LOL

Hope the church visit goes well. :)

~Anna

Michelle Therese said...

I am so jelous, lady!! I LOVE to decorate the entire house for Christmas but I live in a country where Christmas was not even an official, public holiday until the late 1970's. The type of Christians up here didn't celebrate it much. If I knew that there would be such a total absence of craft stores and Christmas shops here I would have stocked up before I left American back in 2006!!!!

I'm glad you're doing well ~ I've been down with a nasty virus. I hope I shake it soon because I'm getting tired of sleeping all the time hahaha!

I checked IM because I was going to call you but you're not on so I won't bother. You'll think I'm a telemarketer hehehe!

GOD BLESS!!!
~Michelle

Carla Raley said...

Hello, Dawn! This is Carla, I met you at that conservative Mennonite church this morning. I did not realize that was Pat sitting by you, or I would have introduced myself to her too!
It was very nice meeting you today! You can check out my family at my xanga: xanga.com/raleyfamily Or our website Raleyfamilyfarm.com

Alyssa Fox said...

Hello Sis,

Boy you sure have been busy lil bee. Oh that's not too bad of a drive. Now if we could only find a church that would accept our Autstic boys. We're gonna give it a try again. How wonderful you got invited for Thanksgiving. I can't wait to get to cook ours this year. I missed it last year being near family and all that drama.

Thanks so much for checking on me the other day at myspace. All is better I took it to God and it helped.

HUGS,
Ally

DonnaB said...

45-50 minutes seems a ways away to me...I drive about 10 minutes! LOL!
I have an entire cabinet full of cookbooks and my Amish ones are my favorite. Will be lifting up in prayer the separation money issue.

Kaira said...

You've been so busy! It is so nice to read all about what is going on with you right now. I'll for sure be in prayer about that money - how stressful for your beloved :(

hugs.

Kaira said...

This is for "ME" (above)...

Dawn, if you know "me" would you please direct her to this comment?

Me, I'd really love that recipe if you are able to share it. I have never made biscuits and gravy but I know my husband and boys would really love that and I'd be appreciative for a good recipe. Thanks.

kairacrops@gmail.com

Simple Midwest Mom said...

Oooh, I love Gooseberry Patch books and it looks like you do too! I love to "window shop" on their website and have made several of their homemade gifts and given them for Christmas. The site is www.gooseberrypatch.com. You'll have to share some success stories of yours from their cookbooks with all of us! Thanks for leaving the comment on my blog by the way! Hvae a blessed Lord's Day!