It was such a beautiful Sunday! The blue skies, the gentle breeze, the green grass blowing in the wind. By the grace of God I was able to go attend services again with the Mennonites in Grandview. Hooray! :-)
We began with 3 hymns, 2 in English and 1 in Spanish.
For each week there is a memory verse that everyone should study and should know by the next service. This week is it Col. 3-18. I think I am going to do my best at memorizing it, wanna join me? What they do is before the Sunday School begins, the brother will ask for 3 volunteers to recite the memory verse to see if we actually studied it. :-) It looks like that have been in Col. Ch. 3 for awhile, doing one verse each week.
The morning devotion was from the first few verses in Philippians 2.
Some key points I got from that is:
* How humility (verse 3) is a great atribute we should have and how God listens to those with it.
*How we are supposed to have a mind like Christ (verse 5)
* How Jesus didn't want a big reputation (verse 7) but just wanted to preach the Gospel.
* In verse 8 we see Christ's humility and humbleness and we need to strive to be like that.
* And in verses 10-11 how every knee shall bow before God and every tongue will confess that He is Lord.
It was rather a short devotion. Then the children were released to their Sunday School class and we had the adult Sunday School. I can't seem to focus too well in this Sunday School.
We are still in the book of Acts and we went over Acts 23:23-35 and Acts 24:1-27. The worksheet with questions we are given doesn't make sense to me so I usually do my best to take notes but that didn't seem to help this time around. :-) I am lucky I got those chapters so I can review them today.
After Sunday School the children came back in and we began our serivce. We sang and then had prayer requests and prayer time.
For service a brother preached on law (as in Bible law). Some of the Scriptures he used were Romans 8:2, Romans 10:4, Galatians 3, and he enlightened us a little on those. If you aren't too busy today, go ahead and read those.
Some the points I tried scribbling down (he talked too fast, either that or I write too slow...lol), were:
* We cannot get away from law, whether it be the law of the land, the law of the church or the law at home (meaning the rules that go along with the running a home).
* There is a law of God and a law of man.
*Jesus was the fulfilling of the law.
*If we don't understand the law, we won't understand grace.
*The law does not make a man righteous, our righteousness comes from Christ Jesus.
*You will always face some type of law in life. Live by the law of the Spirit of Life!
*God's Word is a law unto us.
* The law helps teach obedience.
* We have liberty in Christ Jesus. Amen! :-)
* We don't do what we do to gain salvation, we do it because we are saved.
* So many people are in bondage. If we live in the Spirit, we should walk in the Spirit.
* The purpose of law is to distinguish good vs. evil.
* When a law is made, it is wrong if it is violated whether it be the law of the home, the law of the church or the law of the land, but there is always forgiveness. HalleluYAH!
There was so much more but I didn't get it all. I scribbled as fast my hand could, but that's alright.
After the sermon we had another song and prayer time and then had a fellowship potluck meal. Yum! Yum!
Lots of food, lots of fellowship, lots of getting to know others and them getting to know me.
I got to meet the mom of the little boy in my post or 2 below who has that cancer. They have begun chemotherapy on the lad as it's an aggressive cancer. Let's continue to keep the Byler family in prayer.
After the fellowship meal they were going to have a song service for an hour or so just because and I would have loved to stay but the hubby needed the car too so I said my goodbyes and off I went.
You know, I got to talking with a few teenage girls after church and I will tell you what. They really blessed me! The teenage girls of the world are consumed with cell phones, texting, MySpace, Meez, cars, shopping, dieting, shopping, fashion, makeup, boys, and the like with barely any indication for God, but talking with these teenage girls at the Mennonite church they were sharing their zeal and passion for God and what He has done in their life and how they love to see others from a non plain background (i.e. me) be led by the Lord down a plainer path.
I watched as these teenage girls helped take care of their younger siblings. There was so exasperated sighs or whines, they joyfully did it and you can tell the closeness of the siblings.
That really did bless me to see that.
I hope to get to know them more in the future.
I hope you all have a safe week. The Lord bless and keep you!
<(((>< ,
Dawn
18 comments:
Hi Dawn! Thanks for sharing what you learned Sunday. The scripture memorization is a wonderful idea. A great challenge! I love the pic. Is that the inside of the church or just a pic you found? I love it either way, but how cool if it is the building you're going to!
I know you've discussed your plain journey before, but would you mind doing so again? What does plain mean to you? And what scripturally led you to this place?
Peace be with you!
Sisterly love,
Darelina
Is that the *actual* photo of the church?! It is so quaint & charming!!
Sounds like you've found 'home'!
Oh that's just a picture I just found! I liked the rustic old time-y feeling to it. :-)
Well my quest for plain living is far from being over. I am always learning and seeking always praying.
I didn't have some big, huge 'WOW' moment or anything.
In 2005 for some reason I began doing research on the Anabaptists. Where that idea came from, I have no idea. :-)
I didn't have a computer at home at the time so I would have to use the library's on base.
I also began reading books I bought online about Anabaptists and their history and why they do the things they do.
That allowed the wheels in my pea sized brain to begin churning. :)
In the beginning of 2006 I kept being drawn to the website http://www.plainlydressed.com and was intrigued with the articles they had and was like 'wow, well, that makes sense'.
So I prayed and studied and prayed and studied and just waited to see what would happen.
In April 2006 I began covering...wooohooo! I will tell you, it was like complete freedom as I slipped that covering on and I felt 'sealed' by God's hand. :)
Now I had already been dressing modestly since I had gotten saved in 2001 so making the transition to plainer clothing was not a big deal at all.
I felt God pulling me to more of a 'plain modest' for Him.
I began with solid colored skirts and tops that I already had. Like I would wear my brown skirt with brown top or my black skirt with black top, etc. as I don't know how to sew and the cape dresses I had seen online were a little overpriced for me.
So I did the solid colored skirts and tops for awhile and still do from time to time, like when I am at home and not going anywhere.
In the late summer early fall 2006 I met someone on one of the Yahoo groups who sews cape dresses and she made me a few along with some fleece skirts for the winter.
I also began looking for cape dresses on eBay which the first handful I got didn't fit properly of course.
I was introduced to other websites like Tabitha's Legacy and Katie's Mercantile as the year went on and have gotten most of my dresses from them...well and another private seamstress as well.
In 2006 my quest for plain living kind of formed. Not just in clothing but also in everything else that invloves living...cooking, baking, frugality, keeping a home, etc. To this day I am still learning and trying to soak in as much as I can from many different sources who 'have been there, done that'.
Plain living is so much more than clothing. It's truly living a holy, separated and humble life before our Lord. It's wanting to take the path that our great grandparents and beyond have taken and learning from their expierances. It's hard work as I have seen from others.
Hmmm I don't know how to put this in words...
....nope, had a brain leak...I can't remember what I was going to say... :-)~
I have a long, long, long, long way to go before I feel like I have fully arrived, does that make sense? Hence the reason for my quest.
What does plain mean to me? Well, um, I don't know...lol. I guess living a separated life (in everything) for God. It means just being thankful and greatful for what you do have and not always wanting more.
But plain doesn't have to be 'Anabaptist' plain. If you look at our world right now, many conservative Christians are deemed plain by the world's standard for their views and lifestyle choices.
Many Christian women are adhearing to God's Word and becoming homemakers and raising their children for His Glory and learning about what submission means.
The men are learning what it means to lead a Godly family, to provide, to raise up the next generation for His kingdom.
The world looks at that as boring, plain, and probably bondage...lol. But we Christians see it as freedom in Christ. :-)
Well I am sure you know what Scriptures I am going to put down.... I Corinthians 11 of course for the covering and I Peter 3:1-6, I Timothy 2:9-15 and Titus 2 for everything else.
We are called to be modest and to have that meek and quiet spirit.
The Scriptures about adorning ourselves in modest apparel and without gold, pearls or costly array, I had already been doing that after I got saved.
I did have to do a wardrobe change though because alot of my dresses and skirts were more about 'look at me, look at me...' instead of it being about Christ. Know what I mean?
I hope this answered your questions. As I re read over this, I think I have confused myself...lol. It's hard to type on the computer what you really mean, ya know?
People end up taking it the wrong way and think you are judging them when you arent doing that at all.
But this is a little snippet of this area of my life.
If you or anyone else have any more questions, feel free to ask, and I will do the best I can to answer.
The Lord bless you,
Dawn
That was an awesome answer Dawn! I didn't feel lost or confused by what you were saying! ;)
I enjoyed reading your answer to Darelina, also. I'm curious as to how your husband has felt about your changes...outward and inward.
Do you feel that you're drastically different than when you met/married?
Your new blog look is lovely, Dawn. I am so very happy you found a place to worship with other Plain folk.
We do Scripture memory verses and tis wonderful to be able to recall a wee bit of Scripture when you can't have your Bible to hand.
Your journey to Plain living is blessed indeed!
I am so very glad you have found a place that blesses you so.
this is interesting, I love hearing about other church's views of biblical law. So you say we are forgiven, but are we to TRY and keep the law? or are we freed from some, but must keep the moral laws?
just some curiosity :)
Hi Dawn, the class for children is not a usual thing, it has to do with the upcoming baptisms.
Glad you had a blessed visit at the church. Their fellowship dinners are always good for the food and for the fellowship.
Cristan,
I have already addressed this issue in July and my hubby answered some questions as well. If you copy and paste this link below you may be able to get your questions answered. :-)
http://biblegirl1999.blogspot.com/2008/07/so-here-ya-go-my-ladies.html
I figured there was no point in repeating myself. :-)
Avital,
You know what, I honestly don't know myself. Hence the reason I am studying and learning and trying to figure it out for myself.
I do know the law in the Old Testament is much different than the New Testament 'law' and when Jesus mentions laws and what not I am trying to learn and figure what He was talking about.
I am sorry I don't have more of a thourough answer for you at this time. :-)
God Bless You both and thank you for your questions. <><
I'm so glad you've found a fellowship to belong to and feel welcome in!
I stopped by actually to request prayer - I'm officially due with my baby girl on Wednesday, but I would covet prayers that she would come before then.
I had really good strong contractions yesterday for about 8 hours but they fizzled out leaving me VERY frustrated.
As well, my in-laws are arriving Wednesday whether she's here or not (I love them both but I'm afraid the added expectation and pressure will really hinder my labor)
Anyway, please pray that she would come soon and if that's not in God's plan, that He would give me patience to rest in His will
Thanks so much Sister!
Thanks for pointing me over to the other post...I have some catch-up reading to do!
I'm enjoying reading your blog!
I love the photo. Thank you for sharing it. Sounds like you had a great time again. That is wonderful.
~blessings
I'm so glad you had another blessed Sunday with your friends, Dawn! I love the picture of the church you shared too!
~Kelli
what a beautiful church!
How awesome, Dawn!!!!!
Dawn: the "law" is the Torah, the Jewish laws.
Thank you for visiting me on my blog "The Garden Gate". I will pray that God will bless you with children soon if that is his will.
I will come and visit you in blogland after church today~ I need to go get ready now. Your pictures are great~I will read the attached stories later today~
Peace and Prayers,
Georgiannn
Post a Comment