BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What a week...and it's only Tuesday! :-)

We didn't get the alarm installed yesterday because well, they came too early and I was running around upstairs trying to get dressed and pickup the house and I didn't answer the door...lol. When they left I figured they probably went and grabbed some breakfast and would be back.
They called me, but I missed the call so I called them back and they said they would have to reschedule for tomorrow morning (today) as he was already in another town going to another client.
So, bright and early at 8 a.m. the young man shows up and gets to work installing our wireless system. It took him 2 hours.
He showed us how to work the contraption and left us with a booklet as well with the same info.
Plus we got a certificate also so that we can mail it to our insurance company and it will lower our homeowners insurance. :-)
Now, I hope I can set this thing tonight without things beeping and blaring. :-)




Robert had been in training for a month already for the manager or assistant manager position for ABC, I don't remember which one. He went yesterday and spoke to Paul (one of the managers) for his 1 month evaluation and Paul said he was not impressed with what he saw. Mainly with the food and preperation. Robert's customer service and register skills were fine. Paul said some people are just not cut out to be resturant managers but Robert would do extremely well in a place like Home Depot or Lowe's or something like that.

Well before Robert even thought about what he was going to say he said 'then I am turning in my 2 week notice'.

Paul (bless his heart) was like 'no, I want you to stay on the team, at least until you find a better job. You are going to college and all and I don't want you to be jobless'.

The only exceptions to that are a $1 pay loss and less hours due to college.


But I am glad Paul spoke up and told Robert he still wants him because I know some people would have been like 'well, there's the door, goodbye' if you give them a 2 week notice.


Robert came home bummed and defeated and his ego crushed and I did my best to encourage him and of course I am always trying to find the bright side of every situation, I told beloved that:


*it was true, he didn't really have any resturant skills in the past, but he gave it his best shot and actually learned all kinds of things and I was proud of him.


* he didn't get fired! He keeps saying he got fired and I keep saying 'what are you talking about, you still have hours!'. :-)


* there are other jobs to snag up and not to beat himself up over this. I reminded him that in the Army when he messed up the XO or CO or whomever would curse him out and treat him like dirt and he just stood there and took it and resolved the issue. I told him, 'then what's the differeance between that and what Paul told you?'

I told him 'I don't think you quite know how to handle criticism from a civilian perspective yet' and he agreed.


* told him there was no point in feeling sorry for himself. Tomorrow is a new day with new beginnings and what's done is done.


He was kind of bummed out for the rest of the day. Then he told me he was mad at himself for letting me down. I was like 'what are you talking about? I am not let down at all, these things happen and we are going to be just fine.' He perked up after that.


So today there was a cartoonist position for the newspaper at the University that he was going to apply for. Some of you may know or may not know, but he draws, so this may be a good thing.

Also I think he will be applying at the myriad of Home Depot's and Enterprises as well.

But for now he is still with ABC. :-)







Robert began college yesterday. He goes Monday - Thursday and is taking 4 classes. 2 on Monday and Wednesday and 2 on Tuesday and Thursday.

We went to the college bookstore yesterday to get his books and that place was PACKED! Students everywhere! Lines stretching from one end of the store to the other just to pay for the books. It was insane! :-)


It cost us $250 for 3 books...and 2 of them were used. : - /


Today Robert was going to drop by the art supply store to pick up the rest of his needed items since he is taking an art class.

Believe it or not, I am almost done unpacking! I have 4 trash bags full of junk to take over to Goodwill so far.

Still got 3 kitchen boxes to do, 2 in the living room, and 3 upstairs. Robert has his military stuff and his toy collection in boxes still but I am not touching those.

I found more stuff to sell, more ladies tops and dresses, so be prepared for OAQFPL's botique to be happening soon. :-) I will combine shipping on multiple items.

Toodaloo!

God Bless,

~Dawn~






8 comments:

Laura Ashley said...

I'm taking 3 classes and the books were almost $400. By the time that I got to the bookstore no used books were left. They really get you with those CDs in the back of the book, those make it hard to sell the books back. And of course you can't sell the workbooks back. Robert can always look of half.com in the future, maybe he can get the books cheaper. Is he giving all the "new GI bill" that I keep hearing about? I know it was suppose to provide some money for housing. As far the job, it is great they are letting him stay! Hopefully he will find something better suited for him soon!

Sarah said...

My husband's books for this semester were $525! Do you know what he got when he tried to sell his books from last semester back to the bookstore? $3. It almost makes me want to cry! We found a few of his textbooks on Amazon, but we were afraid of getting the wrong book and then being not able to return it. I will be praying that Robert finds a different job that he will enjoy!

DonnaB said...

Those books are outrageous...they get you coming and going...once when you buy and again when you sell them back. Robert shouldn't feel bad about the job...it may just be a case of God moving him along to something much better!

Anonymous said...

Bummer. I know it's got to kill his ego knowing that he wasn't a fit at the ABC. But it must be so difficult to go from the Military to civilian work/environment. I'm sure it's challenging.

That is so wonderful that you are positive for him and making him feel better about himself. I'm sure he'll pick right up and take on the next challenge!

God bless
Christine

Kelly said...

I think your words and advice were right on for Robert ...you are a great support! And yeh if he got thru boot camp I think the words of that manager should go on the back burner.....Robert has handled a TON more then that, he should be absolutley proud of himself! We are all proud of him! :)

((hugs))
kelly

Margo in Maine said...

Just found the blog again and will be back...off to finish a quilt for my sisters retirement...I have a couple blogs and really enjoy it...just started an inspirational and have a quilt one...Have a great day...and will be bqack when I have time to read ....Maine, USA

Kaira said...

I miss seeing you. I'm not allowed in Candy's room anymore. I did not do anything to her (even if you heard I did) so I won't be there anymore. She called me a wolf. If you have any questions, please ask me :)

hugs,
K.

Becky said...

Just stumbled across your site and wanted to say first of all, a big congrats to Robert for starting college! If you ever need to find better prices on textbooks, and avoid the dreadfully long lines in the bookstore at his school, try looking for books on www.amazon.com Also, when he's done for the semester, he can sell his textbooks on amazon, and get a good chunk of the money back! :) That's what I do as a college student, myself!

I admire your site very much, and great job on trying to live more simply and go against the grain! I sometimes try to strive to do so myself, as I often find myself disillusioned by the ways of our society. . .

Take care,
Becky