BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 24, 2008


On Friday, the day after the neighbor's break in, a gentleman came to the door and was trying to get folks to get an alarm system put in their houses.
When he mentioned that, I was like 'wow, God works fast'. LOL.
Robert wasn't home at the time but he gave me his info and I gave him my info and we agreed at 5 p.m. on Saturday would be a good time to sit with the both of us and discuss this more.
Saturday evening, right on time, Larry (that's his name by the way) shows up and he was here for about an hour and a half.
He was very thorough in his presentation and answered every question we had and then some.
We took the home alarm system, to make a long story short. :-)
Free installation. Because of the way our house is set up we will have to have a wireless system.
And we will be paying $34.95 / month for it.
Did I mention the system was free as well? And it's not some cheap off the wall system, it's made by Honeywell.
We did have to pay for the 1st month's usage though and with tax it was $37 and some change.
The folks will be here tomorrow (Monday) morning and he said it takes about 3 hours to set up.
We talked about break ins and other security methods and the fact that thieves destroy other people's homes for no reason except to steal among other things.
Have you all heard of a 'bump key'? I'd like for you to research it on Google or Yahoo. You would be amazed at what they do.
You see a bump key is what theives and the like use to enter in to your house through the front or back door.
You can buy them online for really cheap.
All they have to do is tap the key into your lock a few times and voila, they are in your house.
Sounds wonderful huh? Well Robert and I had never heard of the 'bump key' until yesterday and seen how easy it is to get these.
Places make locks and deadbolts that are bump proof but they are not cheap at all.
I wouldn't mind getting an extra deadbolt put on for the time being, like either at the very top or the very bottom, but I am not too sure I would pay the $150-$300 for a bump key deadbolt just yet.
I am going to be finishing up the upstairs rooms today from the boxes and such once Robert wakes up from his nap. Till then, I will read my Bible.
May you all have a safe and calm week!
Blessings,
Dawn

12 comments:

Heart 4 My Home said...

I have never heard of the bump key before. Thanks for the info on it. I am certainly going to look into it.

~Blessings

Anonymous said...

Never heard of a bump key but nothing shocks me anymore LOL!

I am SOOOO happy to hear that you are getting the alarm system. At least when you are home (and even when you are not home) you will have some comfort in knowing there is protection between you and the criminal.

God Bless!
Christine

Kaira said...

Hi there,

I've never heard of a bump key but I'll ask my hubs if he has. I'm glad you have found something that will help to bring you peace of mind.

talk to you soon :)

Patty said...

never heard of a bumb key either.

Anonymous said...

Saw a news report on the bump key. You can find videos about it on You Tube.

You may need to check with your police department. When we were getting an alarm we also have a monthly fee we have to pay the Police. They charge it because so many false alarms take up the time of the cops. Just something to look into.

Anonymous said...

Here is a link to the video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTVBWCijEQ

Michelle said...

Glad you got a good security system!

Thanks for your comments on my blog - btw, I love the outfit you're wearing in your new profile pic!

I'm going to be getting myself a pattern soon for a good cape dress and make a few : D Can't wait.

Kelly said...

Hey there!!
Ok finally linked ya onto my blog list so I can come back everyday and know where to find you!!!
Wow that is really scary about the break ins...I will pray for safe days and evenings for you.....yeh that bump key really makes it look easy, ....very scary. But I am happy to hear about your system, etc....a bit of peace of mind. Hey I meant to ask you do you sew at all??? You may have mentioned it in your blog and I may have missed it. My wonderful Husband had bought me a sewing maching for Christmas, I wanted one sooo bad and I have not sewn ONE thing, ughhh I am so disappointed in myself,I do nto even know how to get the thing going!!!! My MIL tried to show me but I do not remember anything! lol So was just wondering if you did any of that and if it came easy. Ok talk to you later!! Stay safe!

love,
kelly

Dawn said...

Dear Kelly,

I have no idea how to sew...so I am not of any help.
Once life gets settled here I am hoping to sign up for some type of classes like either sewing or knitting or something of that nature though.
What's sad is my hubby can sew a little bit by hand and here I am wondering how in the world to sew a button on...sad...very sad...lol.

God Bless You!

Anna said...

Reminds me of when my parents and I lived in Phoenix, AZ. A guy goes around in the newly constructed neighborhood selling the home alarm systems. Dad asks him how much the yard sign is. He buys the sign for $20 and plants it near the front door for all to see. We never had a break-in, though our neighbors had it twice. ;)

Patty said...

Dawn, I would be more than happy to show you how to sew and knit and spin if you would like. You must come see me soon : )

DonnaB said...

Hope this helps you to feel safer!