BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 22, 2008

A truthful rant

Okay, so JLo and her husband had their twins. I think that's wonderful, praise the Lord! It's even better that they are actually married and not just shacking up.

But I found something disturbing. That JLo would sell her babies for money. Oh yeah, it's all over the Internet now..People magazine offered her $6 million for photo rights to her children. $6 million!
For crying out loud...they are just children! They probably look like every other newborn baby.

What's even more disturbing is that all this money is going towards what? What is it really going towards? Nothing!
Meanwhile, our fellow men, women, and children go another day without food and shelter in Uganda or in China or *gasp* even in your home town.
$6 million could end poverty for a country or two or three real quick. How come no one else can see that? Are they really that greedy and blind?

Not too long ago I was reading about how some dude paid either several hundred thousand or maybe even a million dollars for a baseball or baseball card or something, I don't remember.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????? And what is he going to do with that? Throw it on a bookshelf right?
That's okay though, he has his toy...yet children and adults continue to go hungry because of selfishness.

You know...it costs a little over $30 a month to sponsor a child from www.compassion.com
$30 gives that child food, medical care, schooling and a chance at life! A chance to overcome poverty.

But let's let someone else deal with that right? WRONG!

Does it bother you that while you sit in your nice cozy home or apartment with your computer, TV, cell phone, food, closet full of clothes, running water, electricity, that another human being has to sleep on the dirt ground covered by a potato sack bag?
Does it bother you or have you turned a blind eye to it?

We sit here and complain .."I need new shoes", "I need a new wardrobe, mine is out of season", "I need that iPhone", "I need to have my Starbucks every day or I won't survive" and the list goes on. I am guilty of it and so are you.
Can you see how spoiled little brats we have become?
We think we are entilited to these things. Like we have to have them or our world just won't be the same.

Are we truely greatful for what we have or do we want more?

Before you think about buying that HD TV and DVD's with your income tax check, how about using it for a real purpose. A purpose that will bring live giving results!

It's your choice how you spend your money, but maybe you should think twice before buying that case of alcohol or carton of cancer sticks, or that $135 handbag.

God be with you. You need Him more than you know.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Bless You for speaking the truth!

I am not rich by no means and we live paycheck to paycheck, and have assistance but we are still richer than those who are in third world countries and even some that are less fortunate here in our own area.

Anonymous said...

I have seen the kids with no shoes and no food. Being the daughter of a missionary I've seen a lot. I've seen girls at 10 bringing up younger siblings because mom and dad died. They don't have care for kids like that everywhere.

I've seen people walk around and have a cart full of DVD's and CD's and "toys". I hear them brag about what they have in the bank. Then I see them walk passed people asking for help and not care.

I've gone thru boxes that churches sent us with clothes to help the poor. You want to know why my mom and I spent hours going thru the clothes? Because people in these churches sent torn, stained, unusable rags to give to the poor.

At Christmas they sent the broken toys there kids didn't want. WoW, What a gift. I'm not talking about a slight crack. I'm talking dolls with no heads.

I know where you are coming from Dawn. I understand what you are saying. I've said the same thing to people. They turn it around and accuse me of a better then them attitude. It's not that I think I'm better then anyone.

It's a simple fact that I have been there and seen it. I love those people that my 76 year old dad and mom still serve to this day.

But, I also know for a fact that you can't guilt someone into helping. It has to come from the heart. There is the diffrence in a gift from guilt and a gift of love. The gift from guilt doesn't have a head. A gift with love comes in a box and wears a pretty pink dress. Know what I mean?

Sorry I went on and on.
I miss the people I grew up with. They were my family for many years. Sometimes my heart cries when I think of them. Other times I smile. I remember there smiles even in the hard times they smiled.

Rebecca

Dawn said...

Awww what a story there Rebecca :)

You know, my husband grew up really poor and he told me that one year during Christmas, someone had donated toys to him and his sister. Well they were the .99 toys that broke after you took them out of the package.
He was saying to me 'couldn't people put a little more effort in giving something nicer to the poor'. I am not saying that his siblings weren't greatful, it's just the sole purpose, you know.
We wouldn't want a cheap toy that breaks, or a doll with no head, so why would we want to give that to someone else? Duh!

Hi Laura!

I know what you mean! We can live in a 700 sq. ft. house or less and are still so blessed beyond measure and have so much more than our fellow men and women in Africa or Iraq.
It makes me greatful to God for what I do have and I do my best not to complain about what I don't have. After all. It's just 'stuff'.
As long as I have food, shelter and some clothes...plus God of course, than I am richly blessed and have all I need.

Friday blessings!

Michelle Therese said...

I look at my 700sq foot house and say THANK YOU GOD!! I've lived poor both as a kid and as an adult and I know what it's like to go without proper clothes or even FOOD. Yeah, hunger isn't fun! So every time I'm stuffing my face on good food I'm thinking about those times I was hungry ~ and that makes me think of those who are hungry right now! It drives me nuts that so many of my friends and family never once give a thought to the Poor in this world but instead they whine and gripe about their lives and tell me what they "need" to buy!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

You go girl! That is a very right thing to say!

Jennifer said...

I enjoyed this posting, its very true, its sad how people spend so much money on something, when it could go to help a child in another place going hungary..Like jlo needs the money,i think its so sad to see people spending money on stuff like that when they could help somebody else..i sent my address to your email..love you my christian sister!! god bless
Jennifer

Michelle Therese said...

What would be cool is if Jlo sent that $6 million to help poor babies!

deb said...

What a great post!! I grew up with stories of my mother's extreme poverty. She and her family often went hungry. They were migrant farm workers and life was very, very tough for them. I think that her stories made me more aware of poverty.

Wouldn't it be nice if JLO does give the money to charity? Its possible. I mean this is a woman who doesn't actually need six million.

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
VoiceInTheWilderness said...

Dawn,

Well said. Have you seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFZz6ICzpjI