BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Contentment


Contentment is something we must learn. It isn't a trait we're born with. But the question is how? In 1 Timothy 6 we find a couple of very practical answers to that question:
* A current perspective on etrnity: "For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either" (verse 7)
* A simple acceptance of essentials: "And if we have food and covering. with these we shall be content" (verse 8)
Both attitudes work beautifully...
You see, society's plan of attack is to create dissatisfaction, to convince us that we must be in a constant pursuit for something "out there" that is sure to bring us happiness. When you reduce that lie to it's lowest level, it is saying that contentment is impossible without striving for more.
God's word offers the exact opposite advice: Contentment is possible when we stop striving for more. Contentment never comes from externals, NEVER!
~ Charles Swindoll - The Glory of Christmas
When I read these few paragraphs in this book, my heart was convicted. You see, in 2006 and for about 6 months of 2007, I struggled with contentment.
I struggled with being here in Germany while my best friends were having their first babies. I struggled with not being able to be near my dad as he was dying of lung cancer in 2005.
I struggled when I wasn't able to make it to the funerals of my Aunt Alice and cousin Ginger.
I struggled with being at this itty bitty military base that has nothing to offer (still doesn't since it's shutting down).
I struggled with not having the convienance of American things.
I struggled and was angry that here I was stuck here in Germany and I couldn't even take my car to a dealership because it's not German when it broke down.
There are a few more things I struggled with contentment with but you get the picture, right?
Yes, I did pray and ask God a million times to bring a peace in my heart about being here, and for awhile I had many good days but then something came up where I was helpless and the old feelings came back and I wanted to scream. I wanted to buy a plane ticket back to American and get out of this stupid country! I wanted to get back to the real world already.
Eventually about the middle of 2007, I'd say maybe July or August, I felt a peace and calm come over my soul. The same peace and calm I have begged God to give me a thousand times over.
Praise God! Because I wanted to just have peace already and finally I got it. :-)
We still have chaotic days here but I just smile through them.
Do you have contentment issues? Maybe it's not the same way as I had, maybe it's with a lack of worldy goods or a lack of money or whatever...
Don't give up asking God to fill your heart, soul and mind with His grace and mercy.
I love you all...
Dawn

4 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Very, very good post. Most days I am very content but discontent sometimes tries to sneak in. I was thinking of contentment today also but in a different way. For me it has to do with houses. I know, you are thinking "what does she mean?" Almost everyone talks of a dream home they want some day. And people buy what they call starter homes and always want bigger and more expensive. What happened to buying the best house you could afford and being content with it? Why does a dream home have to be a huge monster on an expensive lot with expensive fixtures and goodies inside? My dream home is right here, my little house with sweet neighbors all around. I leave you with this thought. Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.

Dawn said...

I have heard of that quote before. Very true indeed.
Yes, I too wonder why people buy a $150,000 - $200,000 home that they know they can't afford.
With that both mom and dad work and guess who comes home from school to an empty house every day? The children. And for what? 5,000 square feet to watch TV in? Sigh...

You have a postitve attitude sister and keep it up! :)

Thank you for brightening my day!

Patty said...

contentment lies in the heart, and many hearts are troubled. Folks go chasing after things to fill the void when its really a relationship with God they need in order to feel content, secure, and at peace. They all need our prayers

Harespring said...

I am an atheistic humanist who leads a very contented life as a mother and homemaker, and have done for 25 years. So, please leave me out of your prayers. Thank you.