
These are the 22 questions the members of John Wesley’s Holy Club asked themselves each day in their private devotions over 200 years ago:
*Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I really am? In other words, am I a hypocrite?
*Am I honest in all my acts and words, or do I exaggerate?
*Do I confidentially pass on to another what was told to me in confidence?
*Can I be trusted?
*Am I a slave to dress, friends, work or habits?
*Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?
*Did the Bible live in me today?
*Do I give it time to speak to me every day?
*Am I enjoying prayer?
*When did I last speak to someone else of my faith?
*Do I pray about the money I spend?
*Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?
*Do I disobey God in anything?
*Do I insist upon doing something about which my conscience is uneasy?
*Am I defeated in any part of my life?
*Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy or distrustful?
*How do I spend my spare time?
*Am I proud?
*Do I thank God that I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisee who despised the publican?
*Is there anyone whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?
*Do I grumble or complain constantly?
*Is Christ real to me?
...this was passed along to me and thought I would share it. I asked myself these questions and went 'ouch' to many of them. But that's good, that means I have a conscience and the Holy Spirit is still within me, molding and shaping me to be more like Yahweh. Once we get more ink for the printer, I will definitely be printing this off, maybe even framing it to put on the wall as a gentle reminder. =)
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Written by John Wesley
Posted by Dawn at 10:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Ooo those are good! I think I'm going to steal your idea and print-and-frame those questions. Fantasticly thought provoking!!!
BTW, where'd you get that photograph? I love the woman's white cape-like apron!! I wonder if Katie's Mercantile would sew something like that??
I just got the image off Google images. I typed in 'Shaker Woman' and it came up.
What a great list. I had to cringe when I thought of some of my honest answers. :)
I really like these. Good questions to ask ourselves! Thanks for sharing!!!
Post a Comment