BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, September 11, 2009

Importance of Bible Reading




"As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby".
~ I Peter 2:2



We can appreciate good, sound books, periodicals, and study helps. We are blessed with the privilege to attend a scriptural church, hear practical Bible preaching, sing Bible-centered songs, and fellowship with other Christians. These things all help us and encourage us in Christian growth and stability.

However, that alone cannot take the place of daily time with God in personal Bible reading and meditation.
How hungry are you for God's Word?
The Psalmist declared, "O how love I they law! It is my meditation all the day" (Psalm 119:97).
"How sweet are thy words unto my taste! Yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth" (Psalm 119:103).
To read and to study the Bible has many benefits.
A working knowledge of Scripture helps us to carefully discern between false teaching and true doctrine.
With so many deceptive voices and teachings afloat, we need to be as the Bereans who "received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the Scriptures daily, whether those things were so."
(Acts 17:11).
Spending time in the Word daily helps us grow strong in the LORD and to live a victorious life.

"Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy Word" (Psalm 119:9).
"Thy Word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee" (Psalm 119:11).
Many people have a head knowledge of the Bible and can quote portions of it by memory, but that is not enough.
We must have a personal relationship with the Author and respond to His Eternal message with a submissive and obedient heart.
As we allow God to speak to us through His Word, we will live changed lives and bear fruit that gives evidence of its living, transforming power.

- Mark Kropf - Cataldo, Idaho


Either the Word is developing you into the image of Christ or the world is squeezing you into it's mold.




As we draw nigh upon another day, another Sabbath, I pray that we all will be *instant* in Yahweh's precious Holy Word.
If we don't feed our bodies, what happens? We starve and become malnourished.
It's the same thing spiritually.
If we don't feed our souls we become spiritually malnourished and weak. Just the way satan wants us so he can break us down into the mully grubs!
Let's put on the armor of Yahweh and get to work my brethren & sisters!

Shabbat Shalom,

Dawn

5 comments:

Cassandra said...

Amen and Shabbat Shalom!

I agree that reading the Bible is vital. Otherwise, I'm not sure that it's possible to really learn about God and prevent being swayed by false doctrine. The Bible serves as a protection against the world.

Darelina said...

Amen sister!

I love the changes on your site (and the pic for this blog post). I gather you enjoyed Shabbat. What exactly do you do? Or not do?

Carol Hepburn said...

I agree!! Without God's Word we cannot weild the Sword of the Spirit and defend ourselves from the attacks of the evil one. Christians who do not read and study the Word of God are easy prey for Satan, our adversary. To defend ourselves from heresy, false doctrine and a weakened Gospel message, we must make study of His precious Word our number one priority. I know of no other way to become intimately acquainted with the Author and Finisher of our Faith than to read and obey His Words to us.

Shalom!

~Carol

Michelle Therese said...

I'd be lost without the Bible :-)

Innisfree in Alaska said...

I still get lost but I have a "compass"! Grins Briana