(Bride: Linda , Groom: Igor)I know some of you asked what a Mennonite wedding is like, so I will tell ya!
The wedding service last 2 hours. I must say, it was the longest wedding I have ever been too...lol.
I didn't know what to expect so I didn't bring my Bible or usual notepad for note taking because at other weddings, well, that stuff isn't needed. :-)
What I love about Anabaptist weddings is that they take them very serious. They take marriage very seriously. It isn't about how beautiful the bride looks all dolled up or how precious the flower girl looks, etc.
Mennonite weddings do not have bridesmaids, groomsmen, flower girls, ring bearers or anything like that.
There is no "bridal march". No father walking his daughter down the aisle.
The bride doesn't hold a bouquet of flowers.
There were no fancy decorations in the church, in fact there were no decorations at all. :-)
There were no pictures taken during the wedding, but there was a set time to take them at the reception.
Upon arriving to the church we were greeted with car parkers. They told us where we should park. That was good though, keeps chaos from erupting...lol.
Once inside the church, we signed the guestbook (it was just a basic notebook pad), then were led by the ushers at the seat they designated for us.
Normally men and women would be sitting separately but because this is a special occasion, families sat together.
The bride and her family and the groom and his family sat in the front rows.
The wedding began at 10 a.m.
We sang 3 songs, "Savior, Like a Shepherd, Lead Us" , "When We Walk With The Lord", and "Blest Be The Tie That Binds".
Then we were led in prayer and a devotion by the bride's brother.
When he was finished, we sang another song "O Perfect Love".
Then we had a really good message (which made me regret not taking my Bible and notepad with me, but I didn't know) put forth by the deacon of the church.
When he was finished with his message we had a time of prayer.
When the deacon was finished with the prayer, we sang another song "O God Of Wisdom".
Finally, the part we all had been waiting for! The preacher gets up, the bride and groom stand, they take their right hands as the preacher says the vows. They repeat after him.
The 3 of them kneel in prayer to God and the minister gives their marriage up to God.
The 3 of them stand and the minister announces them 'Mr. and Mrs. ____'.
There is no kiss (that's saved for their private time), but there were tears and smiles and joy going around. :-)
There was another song "O Lord Divine, We Come", a time of prayer and then it was over.
Now normally everyone would have shuffled on out and caused a ruckus at the door. But not at this wedding.
The wedding party (bride, groom, and parents) went to the back door and lined up to be greeted at people left.
The ushers released us row by row.
Once the greetings were said, we all went to the reception hall (taken place at another church as it was bigger).
And that, my friends, was my experience at a Mennonite wedding.
I didn't go to the reception, okay, well, I went to the church and dropped the gifts off, but left after that because I had to get things done at home in order for me to go out to church today. :-) Oh the joys of not living close to church, right? :-)
Well I hope you got your curious minds answered.
Bless you all! <(((><
~ Dawn
13 comments:
Very neat! Thank you for sharing this Dawn! :o)
this was so cool!! thanks for sharing!!!
:-) Yep, that sounds like a standard Mennonite wedding. They are beautiful and simple. There are definitely different traditions in different groups, but they all have basically the same structure.
I'm curious, did the bride wear a white, floor-length dress? In my circles, the dress is ankle length and generally a white, simple cape dress. No lace or what have you. :-) Our belief is that, if you wouldn't wear it every day because of conviction of modesty, why would you wear it on a day of consecration before the Lord? :-) It will be an interesting thing to see how my parents react to that when I get married, Lord willing (my parents are not believers...what a work the Lord can do!).
Love in Christ,
Sarah (from Facebook)
Oh Sarah, thank you, forgot to mention what the bride and groom wore.
Bride wore a white cape dress and white headcovering. No lace, no frills or doo dads attached. Just simplicity at it's best.
Groom wore a white long sleeved top and black trousers.
Clothing that they will be able to wear again and again. :-)
And that is just how weddings should be. What is the sense of going deep in debt and stress and all that stuff when that is not what matters. Jack and I had a simple civil service and here we are 29 years later still going strong. yet others who spent gobs of money and who's priorities are so different are now divorced. Thanks for the post Dawn! huggles!
Dawn, I know Linda from years ago! Oh my goodness! I am so happy for her!! Can you contact me? I want to send them a card or gift or something. How is her mother doing-it has been at least 10 yrs since I've seen them. How exciting!!
Mom,
I would love to get in contact with you, but I have no idea who you are and I tried clicking on your Blogger thing but there is no blog, so that means no way to contact you.
You can e-mail me at: biblegirl1999@yahoo.com
You can leave me your contact info (name, address, phone number) and I will give it to Linda and Anna Mary both this coming Sunday if you would like.
Anna Mary is doing fine. She takes in foster babies now so is very busy with that. :-)
It's neat that we know the same people.
Bless you!
Dawn,
How cute! Thanks for sharing! I love learning about cultures wether it be the simplicity of an Mennonite Wedding to the traditions of an Indian wedding! Its all beautiful!
So I am curious about Mennonite courting customs? Did he have to ask her father for her hand in marriage?
I made my husband(now ex) ask my Dad for my hand. My Dad said "I don't care ask her mother." I can't put what my Mom said...(it was rather colorful lol), but she told him he'd better take care of me!
~NS
The giving wedding congratulations to the bride and groom after the wedding is similar to what is done in the Greek Orthodox Church and after some Catholic weddings.
I too like learning about the different wedding customs of different ecclesial communities.
Thanks for sharing this, Dawn. I never knew I wanted to know, but as I started reading it, I really became intrigued. I love that there is so much God and faith and not the "meism" or rather... "usism" about the whole thing, so often find in so many weddings today.
I don't imagine a wedding like this cost $20,000! There's just something wrong with spending money like that on one day (and poof its gone)! I had a "fancy wedding" (nothing near $20,000) and I can say this... I remember little parts, but all in all, it was a giant blur.
Very nice! I wish we had had such a deeply Christian wedding. But I wasn't sure where I was at that point in time... very confused and lost.
Even while pinching pennies and trying to be simple we ended up paying thousands for our wedding which really annoyed me. But there was so much, "People expect this and people expect that" ...
If I had been more bold instead of feeling terrified because I'd moved to a new country I would have put my foot down on a lot more things. For example: no alchohol. It really annoyed me that booze "had" to be served.
I only paid $200 for my dress, using money my Aunt had given me. But we had to add a panel to the chest because it was sooooo low cut! I never thought about a plain dress. That would have been just as sweet!
I loved the dancing. It was awesome! All folk dancing with a band with fiddles and accordian. That was wonderful!
My mother's second marriage was to a wonderful man who was raised old order Mennonite. He has an awsome and loving family, with brothers and sisters representing various branches of the Mennonite church from the old order, to Modern Mennonites who are no different from any other Modern Christian. Now she and my step-dad attend the Presbyterian church. Mom was always an elder in our church. It's really fun to visit "Grandma and Grandpa" (they are no different from our biological grandparents). I even got a ride in a horse and buggy once.
Reading both the post and comments was really encouraging! Although I've never been to a mennonite wedding, the simplicity sounds really nice and Christ-honoring. Thanks for sharing!!
Mia
Post a Comment