BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Freedom vs. Bondage


I finally finished yesterday, the book, 'What Shall The Redeemed Wear'. Normally it would have only taken me an hour or two to read, but it took me months as I had laid aside my reading for awhile.
I would like to share this last piece of information I came across in the book as it was one of those WOW moments for me.
So go grab your cup of coffee, Pepsi, tea, water, and read along with me. :-)
The spirit of the world and various ministers promote the idea that God's principles are bondage.
When the redeemed, whether individuals or congregations, take a disciplining position on maintaining godly attire, the attack will follow.
They are marked as legalistic and under bondage.
The redeemed who make a careful effort to walk in obedience to the Scriptures relating to dress are branded as under bondage.
The criticism often comes from others who also claim to be redeemed.
Are the redeemed who take a careful disciplining position to follow the Scriptures really under bondage?
Who is really under bondage, those who take a more careful position in following God's ways, or those who reject and eliminate such restraints?
Who really has freedom -- the person with a fixed standard or the one who allows the fashion runway to influence what they wear? In the name of freedom many who profess having the garment of salvation have chosen to cast off all restraints of attire and have accepted the ways of the culture.
They justify dropping dress standards by boasting of their new freedom.
The devil is a liar and the father of lies. The idea that following God's principles and applying them in everyday life is bondage comes from the father of lies.
He deceives people into thinking freedom comes from doing what pleases the eyes (lust of the eyes).
He deceives church folks into thinking freedom is increased by following whatever they want from the world of fashion.
Don't be deceived! The fashion of the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life are not of the Father "but of the world" (1 John 2:16).
Anything that is of the world does not give true inner peace and satisfaction.
It is somewhat like a powerful pain killer to a terminally ill patient: it gives a temporary good feeling.
The followers of the fashion principle never arrive.
Clothing styles and the accessories people wear are constantly changing.
They never arrive!
True freedom does not come from doing what you want, but from humbly submitting to what is right and pleasing to God.
...I just loved that when I read it. Almost was shouting 'Amen' in the Chevy dealership yesterday as that's where I was when I finished the book. :-)
I didn't share this to make this a "pants vs. skirts" post. I shared this because it's a great source of encouragement, especially if you are one of those who have been called 'legalistic' or 'in bondage' because you have chosen a different path for your life.
I have been called both of those by professing Christians. It didn't bother me. I laughed it off and honestly felt sorry for the people who felt sorry for me.
I am in no way, shape, or form in bondage. In fact I have such freedom in Christ and am more liberated and free in Him than I ever have been. :-)
Blessings to all,
Dawn

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post..

I liked this part the best.
(Anything that is of the world does not give true inner peace and satisfaction.)

It takes awhile for people to figure that out. I know it did me.

Have a good night,

Anonymous said...

amen! i love it!!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Great post! I would love to read that book. Do you know where I can purchase it?
I know for me I was so free once I heeded God's call to dress simply in dresses, stop cutting my hear and wearing a covering. It was sweet, sweet relief and such a burden was lifted from me. I feel now that I can be a silent witness for Christ by my appearance as well as a verbal one when and as often as I can. God bless you dear friend.

Darelina said...

This was a great post! Thanks for sharing!

Alyssa Fox said...

AMEN SISTER!!!!!!! I love that. I'm gonna have to get the book to read it.

EnglishRuth said...

I totally agree. I apllied the join your and Tabitha's group again and haven't heard anything. May I join please. God has been showing me his will eith things like keeping the sabbath.

Nellashara said...

Dawn,

Interesting post. It is amazing(almost miraculous) when God tells you to do something instead of man. People do not understand the true nature of legalism. Legalism is when man says "You will follow God's rules this way." It is almost like God is muzzled by man's rules and His precepts then become a burden. But when Heavenly Father takes you by the hand and writes on your heart, the blessing is 10-fold!

Here's an illustration.

Dawn did you ever have that nosy neighbor when you were a kid? I did! She would see me doing something my Dad said I could do. she would say "Nellashara did your Dad say you could do that?" Being the respectful holy child that I was(LOL) I would ignore her. Why, because even though she was telling me the same thing my Dad had said, she wasn't my Daddy! It meant much more to me coming from my own Father.

So Christians stop being a "nosy neighbor", let Heavenly Father do his work in that persons life.

Dawn said...

Michelle,

You can purchase the book at these sites:

* http://www.anabaptistbooks.com
* http://www.vision-publishers.com
* Amazon

...Ruth...the reason why you haven't been approved for membership on the group is because Tabaitha's computer crashed and she is getting it repaired. She should be back online Friday though! Yah willing.
You will love the group, trust me!

Thank you ladies for being nice and calm on here. I am reminded of a post I did a year or so ago and it turned into a huge fiasco between the us vs. them (pants vs. dresses) folks.
That wasn't my intent with this post. :)

Michelle Therese said...

I've been off-line FOREVER!!

How are you?? Did a wee box arrive in your mail? I hope it made it!

Guess what? I'm expecting TWINS!!!!

Innisfree in Alaska said...

Good way to put it. I think I should share that with the person who wrote the article in my church newsletter. kwim?

Rose said...

Thanks for this excerpt. I have often been called legalistic by my own parents, but I don't care because I will do what the Word says.