BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Blessed & Humbled

So far 3 of these beauties have sprung to life in all their glory in front of our living room window. Couldn't take pictures of all 3 as I couldn't get a decent angle. Fence was in the way. :)

Robert picked up more hours at work because one of his co-workers quit to take care of his mom and sister. He found out his mom has cancer. Pray for them. I don't know her name but his name is Carlos. The extra money will be nice of course but it's sad it's because of this, know what I mean?

Oh the other day I was doing my Bible readings in 1 Timothy 6. Let me share with you what I gleaned from it...

3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

*** We are to stay away from people / preachers like this. There are many Christians who, even though they know what Yeshua says in His Word, they won't listen or do what He has told them. 'That's not what that verse means' they say. Or 'it was for the culture back in the Bible day' or 'that's not meant for us in our day and age'. The Word doesn't change sisters. Our society and culture changes but His Word is forever. We see churches argue over what certain verses mean and put down other denominations for their interpretation of Scripture...stay away from all that. :-) There is enough drama in this life, one doesn't need it in the house of the Lord too.


6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

*** Oh isn't this the truth? Godliness with contentment. How can we as servants of Yahweh lead a more Godly life? How can we lead it with contentment? Are we content with our lot in life? Why not? Because we listen to the lies that satan puts in our head ..'your friend Susie has a 3,000 sq. ft. home with a pool and all you have is this rickety old trailer that leaks', and then you become unhappy because instead of seeing your home as a haven, you see all its faults and problems and become dissatisfied.

We become disillusioned also by the media with the constant bombardment of 'you have to have this iPhone because it's the greatest thing next to GOD himself and you won't be cool if you don't have one', or 'this diet pill will make you drop that excess weight and look hot and sexy in only 6 weeks', or 'for plumper lips, inject yourself with this plastic so you can look beautiful like me'...you all know what I am getting at.

We see all these things and then compare it to our lives and all of a sudden our happy life seems boring, listless and unhappy.

Forget about that sisters!!! GODLINESS WITH CONTENTMENT IN GREAT GAIN!

7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

*** AMEN!! When I think of this verse I think of those men and women who end up burying themselves with their money and jewels...lol...how lame. This verse is also very helpful for a person's home life. You see, we can't take anything with us when Yahweh calls us home. So why fill our houses with all kinds of 'things'? Should a home be simple and welcoming or filled to the 4 walls with 'stuff'?

8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.

*** We are to be content with having just food and clothing. What more do we need? Yahweh provides for us. But we in our human sinful flesh always desire more, more, more. If we have food, clothing, and shelter, Yahweh has already done more than enough. We should be so very thankful for Him supplying our needs. It's our wants that get in the way...I want a Hybrid, I want that 52 in. TV, I want satellite, I want all the children to be in sports / cheerleading, I want...I want...I want.... Sisters...Yahweh has already given us everything we need to survive, don't you see?

9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.

10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

*** It says 'the love of money', not 'money is evil'. When we allow money to become our god, it becomes evil. You know not too long ago Robert and I were watching Dateline or something and they had this husband and wife couple who were very well to do and lived an extravagant life. Then something happens and all their money is gone. Poof...in the blink of an eye. All their savings were wiped away from the likes of a certain man who is now in prison.

Well as this couple is interviewed, my husband and I sat there with our mouths hanging open going 'really? Are you kidding me?' The wife said 'I can no longer afford to go to the beauty salon and get my hair cut. I can no longer get my nails done and get pedicures like I used too.' 'I now have to sit here in the mornings and clip coupons and watch the sale ads'. Oh the HORROR of it all! Seriously, she said these things. They had to sell most of their 'stuff' in the home and downsize it from mansion to a normal home. And her husband had to take on a job...you know...a normal job which she complained about wasn't enough money for the lifestyle they were used too...and she went on and on and 'woe is me' mentality.

They put their hope and trust in money instead of the living God who supplies all their needs. Their needs were being met and they didn't even realize it. And they care about was their 'stuff' they had to give up.

11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

*** Amen! I don't think I need to say anymore on this verse.

12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

*** Lay hold on eternal life Sisters. Our life here on Earth is but a vapor. We should be preparing ourselves here on Earth right now for Eternity. It's so very important and vital.


13 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession;

14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:

15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;

16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

18 That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;

*** When I read verses 17 & 18, I honestly think of the rich and famous. The people with money who can make a huge difference in our world. Think about it. God tells the rich to : not be high minded, to do good, to be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate. Oh, if Hollywood would take heed, they can turn this world around for the better. Instead, they store up car after car that never gets driven, insist on having a wardrobe that gets worn once, has houses all over the world and country that never get lived in, and all this luxury to show how rich they are. Think what our world would be like if they used their riches to build homes in a poor nation? If they used their wealth to bring medical attention and clean food and water to those in need. Instead they spend their money on themselves. It seems it's always the people who barely have any money, live paycheck to paycheck that reach into their pockets for a few dollars to help someone in a faraway country..why is that?

19 Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.


Got some fun / prayerful news!!!
I will be going to Missouri for a few days here shortly. There is a precious God fearing family whom I have become friends with over the past few years who, well, they need a friend. The husband is going in for some risky surgery early next week and I didn't want his wife to be all alone for who knows how many hours there in the waiting room. Not only that, we have been hoping to meet for some time now, so all 8 of us (7 of them, 1 of me) are super excited to finally come face to face with one another. I will get to fellowship with them 2 days before the surgery so that should be awesome! I will leave to come home the day after the surgery as the wife will most likely stay with her hubby as he recovers in the hospital.
I talked to Robert about this trip and he gave me his blessing for me to go and understood why I had to go. All he said was 'how much money are you going to leave me with?' LOL.
So I have the rental car booked, the hotel booked and all I need to do is head to WalMart or Target and get some snacks and water.
The trip is 8.5 hours. The most I have driven by car is 3.5 hours so this should be interesting. :-D I plan on leaving early in the morning as to beat traffic.
Pray for this family and pray for me so I don't get lost. :-)
I have been busy catching up on reading and also cleaning and getting rid of more stuff. Have a nice huge pile waiting to go to Goodwill. And now my dining room echoes since it's so empty...hee hee. :-P Hmmm which room should I make echo next?
Well, that's all for now folks :-)
I hope each of you has a most safe and blessed weekend coming up.
Love in Yeshua ~
Dawn

10 comments:

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Hi sweetie. Yes that is good and sad news about the hours. I can not help but think of that young man and his family.

Patty said...

like the background photo.

Unknown said...

great post...Have you seen my new post asking people about the covering on Xanga? Boy is that getting some interesting answers...some of them like you talked about in your post.

This should get you there if you want to see it http://kristenmomof3.xanga.com/699018041/questions

Blessings and Shalom

Unknown said...

Good study in The Word Dawn! I agree! We can make lifestyles our Gods and be devistated if something takes that away.

I admittedly have a lot of *stuff*, but most has been either given as gifts, inherited from my mother upon her death, or picked up in my travels. However, I am much older and have had time to accumulate. This isn't a *defense*, it's just how it is.

When I was young, I had very little. The joy of all of it is that my joy is from the Lord, not from my *stuff*. It's nice, yes... to have books to read, and a nice tv to watch, but I prefer to work outside in my garden or bake in my kitchen. I can read on a rainy day:-)

Recently, I have become very aware of the amount of *stuff* I have, and I am in the process of purging. I am going to give the household goods I do not need to Leslie Ainsworths *SHARE* project for Ethan. I hope it helps and because God is #1 in my heart, I can view my accumulations as a way to help others. Isn't it sad that some feel the need to cling to the world?

Bible studies like this help to remind us to keep ourselves in check. I realized I had held on to my Mothers belongings too long & need to pass them on to someone who can make use of them. Thank you for posting this.

Lots of love,
Kelly

Unknown said...

Where in Missouri are you going? Maybe I can help you get there.

Dawn said...

Thank you for the kind offer Rose, but for safety / privacy reasons for my friend and her family, I won't say the town, but I will say in Southern Missouri...near the MO/AR border.

Don't worry...I think I will be fine with the directions from MapQuest...and when all else fails...I will stop and ask for directions. :-)

Joanna said...

Please come see me too! I live in Southern Missouri also :)

Joanne said...

Thanks for sharing Dawn. I agree that we have a tendancy to put too much focus on things that have no eternal value. We do our best to live as simply as we can ... it's a process but the Lord is helping. I've never had a problem with hanging on to things and do not like things sitting around the house. It sounds like those people on that television show are in shock. I pray they turn to the Lord for strength and wisdom. "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness". That was their reality and now it is all different. Even though we can look at and shake our heads, it is still very real to them.

We visited some friends over the weekend who do not have hot water ... they save a lot of money and get along fine without it. We plan to try that as soon as our house sells and we move (we actually might move in with them for a while). They do several other things as well to keep the costs down ... we learned a lot! It was a blessing to fellowship with them.

Keeping the expenses low allows for a less stressful life; the man of the house is not under so much pressure to work work work to pay for all the 'stuff'. No debt and no luxeries = slower, more peaceful life. It also frees you up to do the Lord's service ... to move if He asks you to move, or to just have time to help others in need. Not only that, it's pleasing to the Lord to be good stewards of what He has given us.

I pray your trip goes well and your presence is a blessing to your friends in their time of need.

In Christ,
Joanne in NE

DonnaB said...

Wonderful post...very convicting. I'm sure your friend very much appreciates your coming to support her. Enjoy my beautiful home state!

50s Housewife said...

Have a safe trip!