BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Things to do to the house in the near future and other yappings


Thankfully when we already bought this home sweet home, there was a lot of work already done to it. I can only imagine what the place looked like before.
There are some things Robert and I would like to do with our new dwelling place to make it hmmm, I guess you could say, worth more? Or just safer.
There are some things we will do before 2008 ends as they aren't all that hard to save money for or get done.
Before 2008 ends we would like to:
* Get a new screen door for the front door. (It doesn't lock anymore and barely closes...I don't know what the other people did do it, but it needs to go).
* Get a new window (solar) with screens in the master and spare bedroom. (I know solar windows will cost a bit more but in the long run it will save us money. Plus the bedroom windows aren't all that big to begin with).
* Get a clothesline up
* Get a garden going. (Robert just laid down seeds for tomatoes and carrots so we will see what happens. We have been using the water from our air conditioner from upstairs and watering the garden instead of using the tap. Besides there are water restrictions here, like you can't water till the evening or something).
*Get better locks for the 2 sliding glass doors. (The sliding glass door in the dining area is being locked by a broken mop handle...lol. That was here when we got here. The sliding glass door in the living room has a bar across it).
* Get the water/ice connection from the fridge hooked up, if possible.
In 2009 we would like to:
*Put solar panels on our roof.
* Get new closet doors in both bedrooms. (Currently there are these huge brown sliding doors. We thought about replacing them with clear sliding doors with gold trim..maybe).
*Get screens for both sliding glass doors down stairs. (There are no screens at all in any of the windows).
*Have half the mortgage paid off. (Too easy) :-)
Our household goods are finally here in Texas and will be delivered tomorrow sometime! Praise God!!!! Goodbye you horrible air mattress that keeps us tossing and turning till the wee hours of the morning and then we end up sleeping in till 11 a.m.
Anyone want to come over and help me unpack?
A fellow blogger friend of mine and Sister in Christ (who shall remain nameless) sent me and Robert a $15 gift card to Panera Bread as a 'welcome to your new home' type thing.
So we went and had lunch there this afternoon.
Plus, Robert got a military discount as well.
Guess how much we paid for 2 meals and 2 drinks?
$1.88. :-)
Thank you dear sister in Christ for providing lunch for me and my beloved. It was very good. :-)
We got our car inspected last week. The state of Texas requires cars to get inspected before you get tags and all that stuff.
The inspection was $40 and we got a free car wash afterwards.
Tomorrow Robert has off from work and we are going to the DMV to get our tags and make our car a true Texan car. :-)
I hope it doesn't cost too much.
We plan on taking the car to the Chevy dealership within the next few weeks, mainly for them to check things out, maybe change some belts or hoses and just to make sure the car is healthy. It just hit the 60,000 miles mark a few days ago. Bought it in 2003, so it's 5 years old now. Wow! Doesn't seem that long ago.
We are also in the process of getting a 2nd vehicle. With Robert beginning school and working, we will need it, esp. since I will have to run errands, church activities, etc.
We are looking for something used, in good condition, 70,000 miles or under. Doesn't matter what make or model, just that it's been maintained.
We are hoping to find something within the $5,000-$6,000 range or lower.
We may go to Car Max tomorrow and have a look around.
I have done some looking online and in the Classified ads already.
Sometime this week or most likely next week we plan on visiting the Naval Air Station in Ft. Worth. It's only 30 minutes away and since our military ID cards don't expire till September we figured we might as well put them to use.
God Bless You! Have a safe week ladies!
~Me

8 comments:

VoiceInTheWilderness said...

Hi, Dawn!

My family and I are planning to visit the Dallas area in early September. It's a work trip for hubby and we're tagging along.
Do you know anything about the Arlington area, as far as safety? I just posted about it on our blog, but I was thinking you might have some insight into which areas we should avoid?
Hope I'm not being too forward, but I was also thinking that perhaps we would have a chance to get together for lunch when we're there?
Blessings,
Geneva

Laura Ashley said...

YAY! I'm so glad that all your stuff arrived! You guys are truely blessed. It must be wonderful to see all your hard work paying off.

DonnaB said...

I think it's great that you all have a plan for improvements. Maybe I'll suggest to my hubby that we prepare one.

Meghann said...

So glad to hear ya'll are settling in Dawn! Especially about your bed arriving...that is wonderful!

Love,
meghann :)

Anonymous said...

That is the best part when you get to plan all the things that you can do to your new home that will personalize it. That is what makes a house a home. No matter house nice the house is until you do the things you like and of your taste is when it becomes a home.

Great idea for another car. It would get difficult for you not to have transportation. Nothing worse then not being able to get around.

Also great to hear that your stuff has arrived. Now the real work begins finding the perfect place to put stuff and getting things organized.

So happy to hear that things are pulling together for you!

Blessings,
Christine

Heart 4 My Home said...

Wow you have a great list going there for your new home. I am sure with your fortitude and diligence ya'll will be able to accomplish them all. I am certainly going to be in agreement with you on them, especially on having the mortgage paid down.

Wow $1.88 for lunch. That is so awesome!

Don't forget I have something for you on my blog.

~Blessings
Nichole

P.S. How is your reading going on the books you got not too long ago?

Kaira said...

Hi Dawn,

I just have you on my heart this morning... praying for you :)

Patty said...

The base has a pretty nice grocery store...when Melissa was in the army we would shop there.