Barnes & Noble had some good sales for me this past weekend. A conservative Christian man said not too long ago that reading Amish fiction is like reading the worldly romance novels. He continued to comment as if he knew what he was talking about but when asked if he's ever read Amish fiction or the worldly romance novels he said no.I have read the worldly romance books way back when and I will say there are things in those books that would God Himself blush! Out to the trash can they went.The closest 'romance' coming from Amish fiction books is a young man and his bride to be holding hands!They really are good wholesome books and I am enjoying reading them.

Unfortunately the air conditioning upstairs just isn't doing much so we searched around and around and around for a good a/c unit. Found one at one of the myriad of Home Depots we visited. We chose a floor unit because our windows would not hold a window unit. They are waaaaay to fragile and um, old....lol.
Robert got himself a 19 inch HD-TV. Got it at Best Buy. They had better deals then Wal-Mart. I don't see the big fuss and deal over these TV's that everyone makes.I think I will just read a book. :-)
Robert got a new laptop for school next month. Got it at Best Buy. Now I have our old laptop with a key or two missing and parts are fading but it still works and I like it. :-)

We have to turn the rental car in in a little while *sniff sniff*.
I love that car. Drives so well and is so quiet! Oh well.
I spent most of the day yesterday baby shopping for a far away friend of mine in need of baby things and I had a blast! Went to 2 Targets, a Wal-Mart and Babies R Us. I will have to wait for the fall / winter stuff to come out so I can get better things as far as clothing is concerned, but for now I was able to get basic things like blankets, bottles, toys, cloth diapers, that type of thing. :-)
Gas prices keep going down here...thank God! It's $3.71 at the local Race Trac's here. At Shell they are ripping people off at $3.99. : /
Robert is really enjoying his job at Atlanta Bread Company. He has been doing pretty much everything, sandwiches, salads, soups, cleaning, the register. He comes home with sore feet every night from being on them all day but he knows he can get a foot rub from me if he's nice...lol.
Now..I like cheap, generic food. Always have. For some reason the off brands always fascinated me, I don't know why.I went to Save-a-Lot yesterday just to see what they had and what not and I am all for buying cheap canned goods, cheap detergents, paper towels, noodles, etc, but I want to know is have any of you tried their meats? Like the steaks, ground beef, pork? It looked alright on the outside but I don't know....They also have really cheap milk. $2.99 / gallon. Do any of you drink it? Is it decent?
I went to church this past Sunday at the desired church I mentioned a few posts ago and it was, well, it was alright. Some things the preacher 'preached' really shouldn't have been blurted out as they were personal opinions and not Biblical at all. It made the service kind of weird. At least for me. Everyone else was like 'preach it Preacher or Amen" and I was like 'are you kidding me, didn't you just hear that!' : / I figure I will go to a few more services and see if it's just me or is the preacher really preaching things that shouldn't be said out loud (no it has nothing to do with dresses, pants, hair length, tongues, makeup, jewelry, salvation, headcovering, etc.), and if I find that this church is not my cup of tea then I will move on.
Robert visited the Catholic Church this weekend and he liked it. It's only 5 minutes away from our house. It's huge! I think it's new. Looks that way. I asked him if they had a bookstore in there because I want some more John Michael Talbot CD's. :-) You really can't find those in a regular Christian bookstore and his music is great!
Robert doesn't have to go to work today till 3 p.m. so we have errands to run. Best be scootin!
God Bless,
Dawn


21 comments:
I love reading Amish setting books by beverly lewis, she is a really good author!! Glad to know your settling in alright:)
Jennifer
Well bookstores are definitely on my list of things I miss terribly in the states. I could spend hours in a bookstore, and buy nothing, or buy everything! So has your hubby been bringing home leftover breads and pastries? That would be a real treat for me, we had an Atlanta Bread Company where I am from and I would occasionally pop in and get a sandwich and maybe a muffin top! Yum.
Of the Amish fiction out there the best is by Carrie Bender http://www.carriebender.com/
She avoids the sensationalism of Beverly Lewis who seems to prefer scandals. Wanda Brunstetter is also a good choice but Carrie Bender's writing is more truthful about the life.
I too prefer a good book to telly any day. The Bible is the best~
I also like the Amish/Mennonite setting books. I do like Beverly Lewis, I just got three books from Wanda Brunstetter that were on sale at my local Christian bookstore, just started reading the first one last night. I have not even heard of Carrie Bender, so I guess I'll have to check her out.
Looks like you are settling in!
Waves from Oklahoma!
~Anna
Glad you are settling in. :):):) Ppssttt....ummm....did I miss reading something...about Babies R Us? :):):)
I have to agree with PlainCatholic-Carrie Bender's books are wonderful-my favorite series is the Miriam's Journal series by her. But I enjoy reading all the Amish fiction and non-fiction. I have no intention of becoming Plain/Amish/Mennonite-in fact, my family is what many call Messianic (we prefer Torah Observant)but I believe there are many things that plain folk do that make a lot of sense. And you're right, Dawn, secular (and even Christian) romance books are nothing like those written about the Amish.
In fact, whenever I need a reminder about why I have chosen to stay home and care for my family rather than have a career, I read the Miriam's Journal series because they are so inspiring!
As for meats at Save-A-Lot, I've only purchased bacon (I thing the brand was Corn King) it's been awhile and we don't even eat pork now, but at the time I remember thinking that it was even better than the stuff I'd bought at our regular store. Another family I know buys their ground beef there and have been happy with it. I would say try a small amount first and go from there. :-)
Take Care!
Michelle
I'd like to put in a plug for Al Lacy's books, too. They were so eye-opening to me, even thought they are fiction, because I had never heard people openly witness and they do it in every book. I learned alot of real-life Bible truthg from those fiction books. My favorites are the mail-order bride series and the Hannah of Fort Bridger series.
I'm thinking you are buying for the same aussie friend I am buying for, right? We need to get her to put up a wishlist because you took all my ideas (except for the original stuff I already did).
I shop at Sav-a-Lot. Actually, I do most of my purchasing there. The milk is comparable and the meat is actually better in my opinion. We don't do pork, but the beef and chicken are very fresh and reasonably priced. I don't even bother looking at meat in Wal-Mart as they must think their cows are part gold! I also like the tubes of frozen ground turkey to spread out the cost and fat of beef in meatloaf, tacos, and spaghetti sauce. There are a few things they don't carry, so I go to Wal-Mart for those, but if I had to live with only one store, it would be Sav-a-Lot.
PS- keep in mind that I had your gift BEFORE your husband got his job. ;)
How funny that I just received a comment notice from you. I was just reading your blog. I guess we must be really in sync tonight. *grin*
I love the new photo on your main page heading. How colorful.
Looks like you have a lot of goodies there to read. Let us know your reviews on them when you have time.
Love your new header. It is so fresh & pretty. Sounds like you're really making yourself at home. That has to feel really good.
Blessings,
Lea
Me ~ I am with ya 100%. I can live in bookstores and never get tired of them. :-) I think I like them better than libraries for some reason.
Yep hubby brings home some bread or pasteries or muffin tops but usually when he has to close the store (like all this week...hooray for me...lol).
I told him I wanted a turkey sandwich.
Yesterday he brought all kinds of goodies / treats to the local comic book person in exchange for some trading cards he collects. I was like "not fair...where's mine?" :-)
Plain Catholic ~ Thank you for telling me about Carrie Bender! I am glad payday is soon, I may have to buy some of her books! :-)
Littleladybotique ~ Yep, went to Babies R Us...not for me though, but for my good friend in Scotland who is in great need of some baby things as they don't have a Babies R Us there.
Rest assured this blog of mine will be the first to know when that pregnancy tests has a big fat positive sign. :-)
To everyone else ~ Thanks for the tips about Save-a-Lot!
God Bless!
My fave Amish books are by Beverly Lewis.
Looks like you all are settling in well.
Oh and I answered your question in my last blog entry!
In His Name,
Anita
I love the book Amish Grace I read it recently and it was a real page turner!! I got it from the libary and now want my own copy :) I like Wanda Brunstetter too, Although I have to order most of my books through CBD cause if the christian books shops here stock them they are like double the price?!?!
I admitt you had me doing a double take when I read babies R us!! I was wondering if my pregnancy fogged brain had missed something! Glad to know I still have some faculties left!LOL
Thanks for sending the candles you are a true blessing! I must get the rest of the stuff for the shower organised this week...ahh add it to the to do list!!
Blessings sister!!
Amy
PS am I meant to be doing a wish list motherofmany??? LOL :P
I understand 'why' the man made that comment about religious romance novels. The arguments against them are that some young women might mistakenly get a romanticized image of what a guy should be, one that will seem superior to a real life man.
The problem is that the man you spoke with his clumping all the readers of romance novels together. He isn't taking into account the fact that mature Christian women understand that they are reading 'ficition.' We understand that the people in romance novels aren't real.
I wonder if any work of fiction would meet his approval.
Exactly Deb...it's fiction.
So far I have read 4 of these types of books and I have no desire to find another man to run away with...lol. In fact Amish fiction books don't promote that lifestyle to begin with.
We are all given free will in life. If a woman runs away with another man, it wasn't a book that made her do it. Her heart was already set on the idea long before a book was placed in her hands.
I have however been convicted in some areas of my life in my walk with God through these fiction books which I am now taking care of between me and God. :-)
I see you got "Amish Grace". You definitely won't be disappointed with this book! Awesome insight into the Amish belief system. A great read!!!
Personally, I don't read much in the way of fiction at all. Once in a great while I will (and I've read several Amish fiction), but I like so much non-fiction (and blogs) that I don't find I have the time to read anything else.
Hi Dawn,
In Ft Worth there is a Catholic book store called Saint Anthonys and they have ALL the John Michael Talbot CD's,
The store is off of Barry Street on McCart....their physical address is 3121 McCart Ave
Fort Worth, TX 76110
You can order by phone from them too.
Stella Maris Books
St. Anthony's Church Supplies
P.O. Box 11483, Fort Worth, Texas 76110
Phone: 817-924-7221 / 1-800-772-5928
Fax (orders only): 817-924-7316
Hi Dawn,
In Ft Worth there is a Catholic book store called Saint Anthonys and they have ALL the John Michael Talbot CD's,
The store is off of Barry Street on McCart....their physical address is 3121 McCart Ave
Fort Worth, TX 76110
You can order by phone from them too.
Stella Maris Books
St. Anthony's Church Supplies
P.O. Box 11483, Fort Worth, Texas 76110
Phone: 817-924-7221 / 1-800-772-5928
Fax (orders only): 817-924-7316
ohhhh I love amish books too!! You did find a great sale!!!
I too enjoy Amish books. They always make me want to get up and get moving. LOL
Post a Comment