BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mmmmm...simple food that's filling




We eat beans, rice and tortillas about twice a week for dinner. It's sooooo good. And filling.
My husband used to eat this alot growing up as his family was poor and this was an inexpensive meal to prepare.
The beans and rice are home made but the tortillas are store bought. They really aren't that much at our commissary, so I don't mind buying them.
But I think I will try my hand at making them from scratch. We did it once before and they were alright.
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com has a good recipe to make home made tortillas. Yum, yum! :-)~

With the cost of meat and chicken going up we have been eating more beans, rice, potatoes, vegetable soup, tuna, pasta, etc. It's a nice food stretcher and change of pace instead of eating meat all the time.

What are some simple foods / recipes you feed your family when there just isn't enough money till the next pay day but you got to feed a hungry family?
I am not saying we are poor..lol, I am just looking for more creative ideas. They can be meatless as well!

Eagerly waiting for your responses!

~ Dawn

13 comments:

Unknown said...

We get our red meat for free, and its all organic :o)

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Simple is the best!

Suesie said...

Hi Dawn and Robert!
Have fun looking for your house and I am glad Robert is feeling better! Did you ever eat hot dogs, eggs and potatoes? It's GREAT and cheap. My Dad used to make it for us and I made it for my family. Now the grandchildren love it.
Put a little butter in skillet, brown the sliced hot dogs,(add chopped onions if you like them) Add chopped potatoes. Keep turning until potatoes are cooked, then crack a few eggs on top and mix till they are cooked. We all love it served with some ketchup. Say Hi to your Mom and Dave.
Have a safe trip,Sue

Motherofmany said...

we will buy a whole chicken..roast it one night and then boil the carcass for soup the next night. or,i will make goulash with hamburger, egg noodles and a jar of spaghetti sauce and some homemade garlic bread. if we are really out of food, ill just make split pea soup and fried potatoes. when you have 8 people to feed, you have to get creative sometimes and i wont go there right now haha!

Anonymous said...

This is what I'm doing today.

I have a large bag of chicken breast. I'm baking it all. To much for one meal. Serving half with rice and peas for today.

Tomorrow I'm going to chop up the meat and cover it in seasoned flour and fry it up real fast. (Already cooked and wont take long) I'll drop it in a pot with 2 cans of tomato sauce and italian seasoning. Then I'll make some pasta. Mix it all very well and pour in a casserole dish and cover with matzarella cheese and bake till the cheese melts.(parmesian chicken but easier) I may even pull out some hot dog buns from the freezer and add butter and garlic salt for garlic bread.

Two meals from 1 six dollar bag of chicken for 4 big eaters. I have learned to use my freezer and hit the bread section when bread is 10 for 10 dollars. I can get sandwich bread, hamburger buns and hot dog buns. Makes a fast meal even faster.

Rebecca

motherofmany said...

We try to have lentil soup every night in the winter. Even if we just have it as an appetizer so we don't get tired of it, soup helps make you feel full faster and lentils are cheap, very good for you, and easy to cook.

Anonymous said...

YUM! I love beans and rice. We eat a LOT of beans, I do soups, puree it and put it in spaghetti sauce instead of beef and more. Beans are cheap and good for you and my family loves them! =0

Anonymous said...

Our cheap meal that fills us all up is Pelaf & Lule Kabab

Michelle Therese said...

Lentils!! They make so many fantastic dishes. My favorite is to cook lentils with onion ~ soooo tastey!

Patty said...

a meal we like, which we first had at a Mennonite ministers house, sounds kind of strange but its good.
A big can of Boston baked beans
couple cans of french style green beans and a pound of hamberger.
Put them all together in the crockpot, more of course if you are expecting a crowd. I doubled this when my children were all still home. Cook it most of the day, so the hamberger gets cooked well and then serve over rice. Its cheap and tasty

Paige said...

Oatmeal or grits for breakfast. Peanut butter toast or chicken noodle soup (ramen w/ soup stock cube and water added to stretch it) for lunch. Baked beans, potato's and milk for dinner. Also do black beans, rice, can of stewed tomato's and a cup of chicken stock with one table spoon of taco seasoning in crock pot for easy stew/soup. Homemade tortilla's in my opinion are more trouble than they are worth the savings. I however don't have a fancy shmancy tortilla press. If I did it might be worth the savings. of course the press would have to be a gift in the first place....
I found you via my hubby who was surfing the net on the coming economic collapse...beans and rice, beans and rice...
p~

PlainCatholic said...

Eggs, eggs, beans, rice, potatoes and plenty of veg from the garden. I follow the K.I.S.S. recipe book for thrift...Keep It Simple Sweetie.

I also measure the food out and carefully freeze leftover bits to put into a satisfying stew for Sundays. No two stews are exactly alike as they will have different ingredients from week to week. Served up with piping hot biscuits dripping in our own honey and some fresh butter make it the best thing in our week of meals.

Melissa said...

I have two favorite cheap meals!!

One is macaroni and ketchup -- boiled macaroni mixed with ketchup -- oh so yummy! :)

Or gravy bread -- rip up pieces of bread and pour gravy over top!! Also great with leftover turkey or chicken or whatever.

Now I'm hungry :)