It arrived in my mailbox today! Woooohooo. The apron is a little big, but, that's what the ties are for right? :)
Are sleeves on a prairie dress supposed to be semi poofy? I mean, you can't really tell it's poofy too much but they are kind of big. All in all I like it :)
I found this lady on eBay who makes prairie dresses and I contacted her and told her I wanted a plain burgandy dress with long sleeves and apron and that is what she made me.
I asked Robert if I can wear this out and about with him and he said he didn't care, but I will ask him again when I do want to wear it, because I don't think he was really listening to me. :)
I already get stared at anyway because of my covering and plain dress so it's not a big deal anyway.
Do you think it's wise to wear this lovely garment out and about? Yes, it screams everything our culture is against, but if you had this ensamble, would you wear this when you go to the grocery store or Wal-Mart. Why or why not?
Bless you!

14 comments:
I think I'd leave my apron at home *wink*
But seriously, like you, my convictions about modesty are such that I'm started at anyway. So I just wear whatever I like. Not that I want to draw attention on purpose, it just happens on its own.
I love this dress by the way!!!
Boy this is a hard one. You certainly made me think hard about your question. Since I think my attire is more "mormon" style rather then "prairie" I wouldn't be able to give you an answer. I have however been to Costco's and have seen some Mennonite couples and the women had their prairie style dresses and headcovering.
It's got my attention because I am always curious about the Mennonite not necessarily because of her dress. If you husband is fine with it why not wear it. In the end if you have his approval you are the one who has to feel somewhat uncomfortable in a comfortable sort of way.
Have I made any sense LOL! I say go for it if you want to. I know I get looked at all the time but who cares.
Bless you Sister,
Christine
So cute!
Why not wear it out if your Husband's in agreement? You never know, the double-takes you get might be someone who's startled (in a good way!) to see someone modestly dressed.
As a casual observer, I'd rather see everyone wearing a cute dress like yours rather than the overly-revealing outfits most people seem to wear these days.
Very nice :)
Love the dress. The apron is wonderful. I've been looking for something like that. I have 2 I like but would rather have 1 I love. LOL
The only way I would wear the dress out. Is if my husband and I shared the same convictions. As much as I like it. I would not have bought it unless my husband and I shared the same conviction.
But, I'm strange. I don't buy clothes unless I ask Ray first. I figure he works to bring in the family money. He should for sure have a say in everything that is bought. We both agree 100% on modest dress. But, Ray would think this a little to much.
Actually I may order a half apron for this dress, in white. I think the dress would look better with a half apron when I am out and about. I may also get another prairie dress made, probably in tiny blue floral print. I am pondering it in my mind.
I am still trying to locate someone who will make me a gray cape dress with apron, but hmmm...it's kind of null and void at the moment.
I think I may do that...save this big beautiful apron for home and get a half apron made to wear out and about with these dresses...
Oh...I came up with an idea concerning this new dress and aprons...but you will have to wait till late till my hubby can take pictures. Then I will need ya'lls input again...so just hang tight. :)
"me" what does Mormon attaire look like? I have seen some plain Mormons before mainly in black and gray dresses or skirts, is that they type of things you wear? :)
When I say "mormon" style I mean straight skirt almost to the floor dark color with a shirt that is at least past my elbows and high on the neck line. This would be my winter attire. Summer time I wear a floral straight skirt with a plain color shirt high color with elbows covered.
It's more modern mormon attire not the praire style mormon attire. In the states you'll see LDS dressed like this. The FLDS dress in the floral prairie style dressed.
Ow, and I have hair past the middle of my back and is 90% of the time in a french braid. I'm not mormon but always get asked if I am because of how I dress.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today!
My brother's familiy lives up in your area right now. It's much different from our area down here in Italy!
I think you look beautiful in your dress and apron.
I dress modestly, but not as plain I guess ( I am Mormon) and not always dresses...I do milk a cow and stuff. I do wear skirts and aprons alot though...so comfortable and feminine. I usually hang the apron on a hook on the way out to go to town..but forget sometimes and always get positive coments.
I would say that if your husband don't mind go for it..you look great!!
I love reading your blog by the way
A WHITE apron?? Very daring. I'd have that thing trashed in two seconds. Can you post a pic of the dress without the apron so we can see what it looks like?
Awesome dress by the way! Now all you need is a matching bonnet!
I've just written the 100th page of my book. (That's where I've been this past week) GOD BLESS!!
Cute dress, great apron. I wear my big modest dresses and coverings out all the time :), but I don't have any aprons, and wouldn't wear them out, because to me, an apron is for working in KWIM? But my dresses typically already have two layers on top. I'm a covering mamma too, and wear either a black or white hanging veil very similar to yours.
from over at http://www.quiverfullfamily.com/blog
It was rather interesting for me to read the post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.
For the contributer looking for neutral tone cape dresses, www.thekingsdaughters.com can make these for you (I buy all my clothes through them and their workmanship, customer service and attention to detail cannot be faulted. Their fabric range is extensive, and if its not listed, they'll be happy to try and work something out with you. Additionally, they've been happy to make alterations and take suggestions to modify patterns to my liking.
I've two capedresses (rest are regular that i wear with a waistcoat); one's for church (cream on cream paisly) and the other's a navy/white micro-;plaid that my husband thinks looks a little 'culty' but its worn only around the house, walking the dog, up to the local shops etc. for comfort, modesty and no-fuss factor, nothing beats a capedress, though in Australia its a bit of a clash, and there's no way on earth my husband wants me to wear it around either my family or his!! :-)
Hope the link can help. Additionally, www.plainlydressed.com may be able to make what you're looking for, though they are very pricy.
Blessings,
Sarah.
Don't stop posting such themes. I like to read articles like that. By the way add more pics :)
Post a Comment