BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Hmmmm : /

This afternoon I went to the post office to mail out some eBay packages. I went to get back in the car and it wouldn't start. I mean, the starter worked fine but when I tried to give it gas, it kept dying. Hmmm...
So I grabbed my important stuff from the car and began my walk home...in the rain...with no umbrella. I was also eerily calm and had peace in my heart. Normally when things go wrong that I can't control, I sort of get worried or freaked out, but I was calm and controlled and just lifted up a silent prayer asking God for His hand in this.
One of Robert's soldiers was going to track him down for me since he left his cell phone in the car and couldn't be reached.
So, I finally got almost home and I ran into my church friend Maria (whom I was going to call as soon as I got in the door anyways) and we chatted a bit and I asked her if she would take me to the grocery store tomorrow morning since I don't have a car and we need groceries. "Sure" she said. I knew she wouldn't mind. I just have to call her tomorrow and remind her because she is kind of forgetfull. :)
So I got home and Robert called a few minutes later and I told him that the car doesn't work. He told me to call the auto place on base and see what they can do.
So I did. The guy on the phone was really nice, very chatty and made me feel at ease. Pretty much he said to bring up a key and he would toe it back to the shop free of charge. Note: where my car was at the post office and where the auto shop is located is less than a 5 minute walk to the other side of the base.
Well I did not want to walk in the rain again so I went downstairs to my neighbor whom I knew was home and he was more than happy to give me a ride over there, which was a blessing. :)
When we got to the other base, I asked him to stop by the post office to see if maybe I can start the car...no luck. So, he dropped me off at the auto center and told me if I needed a ride home he would pick me up so I didn't have to walk in the rain, but I told him I would be alright (big mistake there).
The man I talked to on the phone I met inside...very nice indeed. So we hopped in his car with a tow chain in hand and drove the 1 minute to my car. :)
Now normally when someone is towed, the car is in neutral and the person just steers the wheel. Well my power steering was so hard, I couldn't even turn it! It was stiff...really bad! I just couldn't do it.
The man said that if I can't do it, then he wouls have to grab the tow truck which is $30 just to go that short distance. He didnt want to have to do that either . I asked him "isn't their another man you can get to help out" and he said "no." But then an MP (military police) came behind us and asked if we needed help and he offered to help (what a Heavensent). He radioed in for another MP to follow behind us just so cars knew that a broken vehicle was being towed. I felt like I was in a funeral procession..LOL.
So we got to the shop 60 seconds later, thanked the MP's and got Klause (the only mechanic on base) to come take a look underneath the hood.
After 2 minutes he said it was the fuel pump. And I knew it. I knew it! I am not that dumb when it comes to cars and I knew it was either the fuel pump or filter.
So....they wheeled the car into the bay and we went and got an agreement signed up. Klause charges €20 an hour and to have the car in the bay (other wise known as bay fees) is $6 an hour. Klause may be able to fix the fuel pump without have to buy a new one (if you don't know, those things are not cheap), so we will see. I told the nice man I would call back tomorrow afternoon if I didn't hear from him first.
And I was off...heading for home...in the rain...again.
Yes I do have umbrellas but they were all at home.
It's amazing how people don't offer folks a ride anymore, especially being on a military base. This isn't the first time no one has offered to help me. When I first got to Germany and before I had my car, I was walking back from the base exchange with numerous heavy bags full of stuff for the house and I was struggling, but no one bothered to roll down the window and ask if I needed a lift. Not one. It goes to show you how selfish we as a human race have become.
I do try to give rides to women if I see them in the rain or struggling because it's just the right thing to do. Now I can't do that with women and children because I don't have car seats in my car and we both can get in big trouble if children aren't restrained.
Even my neighbor who gave me a ride said there were a few times he ended up walking home in the rain and no one bothered to help him.
By golly Americans...look how we have become? Are we really that selfish? Would it really botch your precious plans to help your fellow man out?
So anyway, hopefully Klause can fix the fuel pump without having to order a new one and we can get the car back tomorrow. :)
God Bless You!
**** UPDATE ****
The man from the auto shop just called and said the car is fixed. There was actually nothing wrong with the fuel pump, it had something to do with the relay switch and also he said I was clear out of gas (my gas tank says I have 1/4 tank left). So, until I can get that fixed, I will have to make sure my tank is filled. My dad had that problem with his car too and he just filled it up when it gone down to a half tank.
So anyway the price is €60 plus $22 for bay fees. I will pick up the car tomorrow then...hopefully they may have put a little bit of gas in it for me so I can at least make it to the gas station (that's on another base altogether).
Got to get dinner finished...God Bless you...again! :)

2 comments:

Mrs. Anna T said...

I'm glad your car is fixed now. And yes... I remember this one time when a woman needed help lifting her baby carriage onto a bus and I gave her a hand, she just didn't stop saying 'thank you' for 5 whole minutes, as if I did something special... she actually looked surprised I offered to help her! Very sad.

Michelle at usr-bin-mom.com said...

I have noticed the lack of helping each other, too, like when I was huge pregnant and struggling to carry large bags of trash to the dumpster in one of our old apartments. But in the last neighborhood where we lived people would stop all the time to offer me a ride when I was walking the children to church. I'd always say no, thank you, because it was a very short walk and the kids enjoyed it, but it was nice to offer.