It helps when studying and understanding the Bible to read it from a Jewish perspective. When one does that, it really opens up the Word of G-D in a whole new light.*
We here on Earth view midnight as the beginning of a new day, but G-D does not.
G-D's Word tells us when the new day begins and ends, man has altered that.
*
G-D's days begin in the evening, after sunset. You can find this by reading Genesis 1:5, Genesis 1:8, Genesis 1:13, Genesis 1:19, Genesis 1:23, Genesis 1:31, and Leviticus 23:32 which talks about Shabbat being from 'even to even'.
*
Some other Scriptures that show us the Biblical day begins and ends at even are:
Exodus 12:18, Leviticus 11:24-25, Leviticus 22:6, Deut. 16:6, Deut. 23:11, Deut. 24:13, Neh. 13:19, and Mark 1:32.
*
You won't find anywhere in the Bible that G-D had changed His time frames, but you will find that man has:
Daniel 7:25
*
Not many Christians even realize that's G-D labels His days / evenings differently then us. I was saved 8 years before I learned that. Not once was it ever taught in church to me.
To me, it is very important to understand this because it will also help us when reading and studying the New Testament scriptures. :)
*
Something new I recently learned about a few weeks back was about Havdalah. Never had heard of it before, just like many Christians haven't.What is it, you may ask?
*
Havdalah comes from the Hebrew word 'havdil' which means "to separate". It marks the distinction between the end of Sabbath and the ordinary week day that was beginning.
*
Remember, the 1st day of the week (Sunday) begins Saturday evening after Sabbath ends.
*
Havdalah usually is done when 3 stars are visable in the night sky.
*
There is a small ceremony involved (you can Google more about that) and many times the people stay afterwards to talk, to eat a meal, to fellowship.
*
Understanding how YHWH labels his days and nights and understanding Havdalah really puts Acts 20:7-11 in a better perspective for me.
*
The Christian church uses these verses to justify that Sabbath was switched to Sunday and all the apostles were now Sunday synagogue goers.
*
Contrary to what's normally taught to us, Yeshua's disciples were Jewish men who believed on Him. Yeshua Himself was a Sabbath keeper, even keeping Sabbath in the grave.
*
But I don't want to go off on a rabbit trail here...back to Acts 20:7-11.
The disciples kept Shabbat, they would be liars and hypocrites if they would not have as they were Jewish.
After Sabbath ended (Saturday sunset), we see they came together to break bread (which usually happens with Havdalah) bringing in the 1st day of the week (Sunday). The 1st day of the week begins right after Sabbath ends. It doesn't begin at midnight like we know it.
Then Paul preached / taught until midnight. This wasn't midnight Sunday evening, but midnight Saturday evening.
We see in verse 11, they ate some more and fellowshipped and Paul left at the break of day (Sunday morn' sometime).
*
If you think about it, seems a bit unrealistic that the disciples would have started Sunday morning (as we know Sunday morning as) by eating twice (vs. 7 & 11), and then Paul giving a 12+ hour long sermon before departing at midnight for his next destination.
*
Also, take a look at verse 8. It says there were many lights in the upper chamber where they were gathered together.
If this were a morning meeting, and it's daylight out, what would be the need for all the lights?
*
Something else to roll around in your mind...After Sabbath ended, Paul preached until midnight. Eutychus, the poor fellow ended up falling asleep and killed himself do to exhaustion.
I feel for him because come midnight for me, I have to hold my head up in order to not crack it on my desk.
Why would Eutychus get so sleepy if it was a Sunday morning meeting he was at?
I mean, it was just Shabbat earlier, he most likely had more than enough time to rest and nap since no work is done on Sabbath.
*
Learning about the Bible a bit better and understanding a bit more about Judaism, it really helps me to understand Scripture better. This was really a neat find for me, hence the reason I am sharing. :)
*
Our society deems Sunday as the 7th day and Monday as the 1st day of the week (work day), but that is not how G-D views it). The 1st day in the Bible is Sunday and has always been a work day for them. Paul traveled, the ladies brought spices to the Yeshua's tomb, etc, etc.
*
A glorious, graceful Sabbath rest to you all ~
*
Dawn
12 comments:
Since I am not Jewish I prefer to read the bible from a Christian perspective. As St Augustine said "what was promised in the old [Testament] is fulfilled in the New [Testament]."
I try to read Scripture using the four senses : 1. The literal sense - what the text says. I try to discover the meaning of the words and expressions as they were understood in their original setting and by the people who heard them. 2. The spiritual sense. I try to search out what the Holy Spirit is trying to tell me, beyond what the human authors have consciously asserted. There are three spiritual senses 1. The allegorical sense which shows us the spiritual and prophetic meaning of biblical history. 2. the moral sense- which prompts us to form virtuous habits in our own lives. 3. the anagogical sense which points upward to heavenly glory. It shows us how many events in the Bible prefigure our final union with God.
I was reading the other day about a priest who has been studying the Letter to the Hebrews for 47 years! That isn't all he has been doing of course but he has been finding nourishment in this particular part of the Scriptures for most of his adult life.
Hmm...I understand the application of a jewish pov to scripture, but here I don't think it applies much. The first sentence starts "On the first day of the week" so...Sunday. Even if this was a havdala ceremony, they still stayed until sunday and worshiped/studied. Not to mention there are written accounts that this was common practice in the early church (sunday gathering that is). Believe me, I am a Catholic who went down this messianic road already, and I still love my sabbath day (saturday) I just go to church on sunday as well. The weekend is my time to relax and I love spending both days with my savior!
I don't know if you were just pointing this out, or if you 100% disapprove of sunday worship. My only advice I can give is do not let the law ensnare you. No matter how many laws you keep...it means nothing because you're already saved ;)
You are right, the 1st day of the week is Sunday.
Sunday begins though right after sunset on Saturday according to the Bible.
G-D begins His days from evening to evening as I have already quoted Scriptural proofs in my blog post.
The church in Acts is the original early church.
Be careful not to esteem the writings of the "church fathers" over the Word of G-D.
I'm not going down a Messianic road...just reading the Scriptures for what they are.
Very good post, Dawn. I remember when I discovered how Yahweh laid out the days. It is so different from what we in our Western culture think is normal.
I appreciate that you share the knowledge and wisdom you are gaining. I pray that our Father will open up the eyes of many sisters to His truths.
Dawn, I enjoyed reading your post " YHWH's Days/Nights & Havdalah" I've been studying the HEBREW/JEWISH roots of THE faith for several years now and you have expounded beautifully on the Jewish Tradition of Havdalah... I myself have partaken in this tradition. Normally it occurs for us immediately after our Sabbath (Saturday) afternoon "Midrash" (investigation into the Scriptures, i.e. Bible Study)... We normally end the Midrash at sundown. During THIS time of year, that is usually around 4:30-5:00 p.m. After the Havdalah Ceremony is complete, we mingle and usually eat together before going home to begin a "new week". It is not uncommon to remain in the Synagogue for hours later on the first day (Sunday) though in Western thought... it is still Saturday night. :)
I read the comments from Victoria and she said that she is not Jewish, but I believe she made reference that she may be a Christian. I wanted to tell her that the scripture says that ...
Ephesians 2:12-13
That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
THIS makes us ONE body in Messiah.. and THAT body happens to be called ISRAEL.. Reading the Scriptures from a "Christian perspective" can only be done through the foundational understanding that Yeshua (Jesus) Messiah is a JEW..
Understanding of the scripture relying on the 'four senses' that you quoted is unprofitable.. for SCRIPTURE DECLARES THAT...John 16:13
Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, HE will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
If it is our senses that we rely on we sell ourselves and the TRUE REVELATION of HIS WORD... short. For in our flesh (senses) we cannot recieve HIS HOLY word.. b/c the flesh is an "ENEMY" to HIM.
The TORAH (HOLY SCRIPTURES that Yeshua referred to when He would say, "it is written") is ALIVE!!! and has been manifested in the FLESH in the person of Messiah.
As far as viewing the LAW (heart of ABBA) as a possible "snare" wow... How could a LOVING FATHER engangle you by the very instructions given to "PROTECT" you and your very LIFE?!?! I have NEVER understood a people who are so ANTI-INSTURCTIONS, but expect their own childern to be obedient to them (though they are sinful) not to mention who (most anyway) take great pains to remain inside the "law of the land" and highly esteem IT...
Dawn, I beleive that you are on the right path. I pray that your walk be a light to a dark world. Be not dismayed, for scripture declares that THIS walk/path is NARROW.. and FEW there will be that will find (be willing to walk) it or even UNDERSTAND it..
THOSE that the FATHER will draw.. HE will loose NONE..I praise HIM for that.
NO ONE keeps the LAW to be saved. WE KEEP the LAW b/c we ARE saved. IF YOU LOVE HIM.. KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. PERIOD. so... I DO..
(sounds like wedding vows to me :)
~Shalom in HIM
Hey Dawn,
Sorry but I really didn't read the whole post. I did read the first two sentences and then it just turned me off. First of all how can we read the Bible from a Jewish perspective when there are not many people know what the Jewish perspective is especially as Jesus was. We need to read the Bible as it says not as we think it says.
And also I was just wondering why you didn't put the "o" in God! I was curious about why you wouldn't spell the whole name of God out. If you are afraid of offending someone who cares if it does then they don't have to read your blog. Plus Jesus said if you are ashamed of Him He will be ashamed of you. On my blogs I am in no way ashamed to spell out the name of GOD and I wish you wouldn't be either.
God Bless You,
Donna
Dear Donna,
I think it is really sad that you didn't read the whole post and that it "turned you off."
This post is a very good biblical and true post and for someone to be turned off by the bible and by the truth is very sad.
Reading the bible from a Jewish perspective is very easy. The Messiah was a Jew!!!
If you do not read it that way then you are slanting it to say things that it doesn't
The Messiah was a Jew and by following Him the bible is very clear that we are grafted into the olive tree.
Wonderful Post Dawn. You said it so well and provided the scriptures. The thing is that if people dont want to listen they will always find excuses.
Blessings
Donna,
Leaving out the 'o' in YHWH's name doesn't mean I am ashamned of His name.
It's a form of respect for me for such a holy G-D.
I am not trying to hide His name or doing away with it as one person told me before.
No, for me it's just respecting such a holy name.
I don't want to type YHWH's name and then end up blaspheming and disgracing it somehow in the next sentence.
The whole Bible is written from a Jewish perspective...this is why you have to read it through Jewish eyes and understand a bit more about Jewish history so you can get a better grip of what it's talking about.
But, you don't have to do that at all. You can read it through the typical American Christian way and end up not seeing Scripture for what it really is, only what you want to see.
Yeshua was Jewish, His disciples were Jewish who believed on Him, the authors in the New Testament were Jewish. It's a Jewish book.
You really should read the whole blog post. It's quite enlightening on how YHWH's days/nights are not from midnight to midnight and how that coincides with Acts 20.
A blessed Sabbath rest to you Donna! :)
Dawn, good article!! For "Christians" to claim that they refuse or want no part of Jewish custom is saying that want to know Je Zuez and not YESHUA! How can one understand something/one without understanding its/their culture?! Say you are...an American Male and you marry a woman from Indonesia. If neither of you understand or at least, TRY to learn eachothers culturistic customs, THERE WILL BE A LOT OF HARDSHIPS!! For lack of understanding! It is the same (on a much greater level) with Yeshua. If you do not understand where HE came from, how HE was raised, etc, HOW will one TRULY indentify with HIS character? Again great article! You have motivated me to try to figre out how to use this blog thing lol!
Shavua Tov Achoti et Shalom Yeshua HaMashiach!!
Dawn, again a very good post. I love keeping the Sabbath from sundown Friday evening to sundown Sabbath evening.
An interesting point to mention - the Sabbath is not a Jewish celebration. It's a human celebration. The Sabbath was created at creation when God set apart the 7th day after He created the world. There were no Jews at Creation, as the Jewish nation did not come into existence until Jacob's sons.
I find this an important point to remind people when they tell me that the Sabbath is just for the Jews. It can't be, as the Sabbath existed long before the first Jew! Praise the Lord that He has given ALL men a day of rest each week!
To R.A. - The Bible says that the seventh day Sabbath is God's chosen day but it also doesn't say that we are restricted to only attending church on that day. I believe that people can keep the Sabbath day holy AND also attend church on other days.
Not many Christians even realize that's G-D labels His days / evenings differently then us. I was saved 8 years before I learned that. Not once was it ever taught in church to me.
As a Catholic I certainly know that the Jews counted their days from sunset to sunset because that is how we are able to have a Mass on Saturday night and it fulfills our Sunday obligation. When we pray the Liturgy of the Hours (prayer seven times a day) on Saturday night we pray the Vigil for Sunday.
The Christian church uses these verses to justify that Sabbath was switched to Sunday and all the apostles were now Sunday synagogue goers.
I don't know which of the 30,000 plus Christian communities you are talking about here but the Catholic Church has always regarded Sunday as the first day of the week and the Sabbath is the seventh day of the week - check out Catholic calendars to see this.
Be careful not to esteem the writings of the "church fathers" over the Word of G-D.
The writings of the Church Fathers are certainly to be esteemed but of course not above Scripture.
the authors in the New Testament were Jewish
Luke was a Gentile.
Cassandra ~
You know, I have reminded Christians many times that Sabbath was created in the Garden of Eden, just like the marriage covenant and they still are very adament that "it's Jewish".
Like you said...there were no Jewish people in Eden so how in the world can Sabbath be Jewish? LOL.
Even Gentiles kept Shabbat in the New Testament!
I remind them we will be keeping Sabbath in the New Jerusalem (Isaiah 66) and you know what their reply is?
"It doesn't mean that".
I remind them also that in Exodus, YHWH says Sabbath is a sign, for all generations, but the answer is always "it's Jewish".
Oy vey.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink...
Once the truth is shared, one can't do anything more except pray that their eyes be opened.
Victoria ~
Your a wise Catholic. I like that. :)
Evening blessings to all of you tonight! :)
Post a Comment