These past few days have been keeping me and the hubby on our toes, that's for sure.
May 8th at 4:18 a.m. our doorbell rang. 'Who in the world would be ringing our doorbell at this hour besides someone wanting to break in' I told my husband as we bounced down the stairs.
When we got downstairs, I seen the police lights flashing in the living room window. We turned off our alarm (we have a burglar alarm as there are thieves in our neighborhood) and opened the door to our neighbor screaming and panicking that the house 3 doors down was on fire.
Indeed it sure was!!! Flames were coming out of everywhere.
Thankfully the police, fire trucks and ambulances had already been there taking care of business. The smoke was heavy and as I stepped outside for a brief moment, the memory of our own apartment fire in 2001 came back to me.
Robert was dressed and walked out the door to see what was going on and came back in 2 minutes later and said everyone was freaking out and hysterical, but the firemen were doing their jobs and didn't need any more people walking around getting in their way.Nobody was killed or injured. Just emotional.
So, we went back upstairs and went to bed. Actually more like laid there till 6 a.m. hoping sleep would come before the alarm was set to go off (7 a.m.)The alarm went off and neither of us wanted to move, but, we had to.
As I dressed and began taking the trash to the side of the road for pickup, I noticed the air outside still was heavy with that fresh fire smell, groups of people were everywhere staring at what used to be a townhouse.
A fire truck was still there along with a squad car. The Red Cross showed up eventually. The Red Cross helped us out immensely when we had our apartment fire so to see them helping this family was a blessing.The thing with living in a townhouse is that there is another house attached to it. So, actually 2 houses burned because the flames from the 1st house spread rapidly. Vehicles were also scorched. I told Robert...'can you imagine what would have happened if the flames had reached the gas tanks of these vehicles'? Thank Yahweh it didn't!
So we went to pick up our rental car at 8 a.m. (our car was going to be getting worked on for the next few days. They (Avis) gave is a free upgrade. We got a 2010 Dodge Caliber. It's sweeeeeet (pardon my slang words, I hate using those, but couldn't think of another word at the moment).We grabbed some breakfast at Whataburger, then I dropped him off at work and ran some errands.I didn't get everything I wanted to done...just so tired and couldn't think straight. Same thing with hubby...his work day today was a lost cause.I did get some Bible reading in which was a blessing.
Mom also got her Mother's Day gifts we sent her on the 8th. A card with a Target gift card in it and then in the afternoon she had flowers delivered to her door. :-) Surprise surprise Mommy! My brother took her out to eat and gave her a card with money in it.
She said that was one of the best Mother's Day's she's ever had and I am glad she had a wonderful day. We all deserve little slices of Heaven now and then. :-)
May 9th was my brother's 39th birthday. I had sent him a card with money it in and gave him a call.
Robert and I dropped off our car at the mechanic's house. He knows his stuff...thank Yah for private mechanics who aren't out to rip people off but actually help them. \o/
May 10th was church. I hadn't been out there in a month due to various circumstances and it was so good to go. A message was preached about a mother's influence to her husband and children. It was very good. There was fellowship meal afterwards and as hungry as I was I couldn't stay. We had to go give our mechanic the money to buy the parts he needed among other things that needed tending too.
Hopefully this coming Sunday I can stay for fellowship meal.
Noticed at church, which I didn't remember seeing last month, we have 3 sisters expecting babies (you can easily tell by the way their cape dresses are made). I was like 'wow, only been gone a month and look what happens...lol.'.
May 11th after Robert got home from work and relaxed awhile, we headed over to Burleson Texas, which is about 40 minutes from home to the Elliott house. Howard and his wife Annie had invited me and Robert for supper. How sweet! And Rev. and Sis. Kreider from church came as well. All 4 of them wanted to meet Robert and now they had the chance. :-)
Before going to Burleson, we stopped at Costco and picked up some cream colored roses (2 dozen) for only $15! Oh they were pretty. :-) We wanted to surprise Annie. And surprise her we did, she about cried when we told her those were for her. :-)
Robert fit right in with the conversations and he really had a good time, even said we hope to go back again to their house and if I know Annie, that will probably be soon...hee hee.
Annie had made fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn, and Sis Kredier brought the bread and salad.
For dessert we had fried pies scooped with a serving of vanilla ice cream. Robert and I, being the city folks that we are (hee hee) had never tried fried pies, much less heard of the term, but they were soooooooooo good!!!
Annie showed me her raised garden bed and all her critters (2 dogs, a bunny, a wild bunny, and 4 chickens).
After supper us ladies helped clean up while the men folk fellowshipped in the living room. We followed shortly after.
Before we knew it, it was time to go. We all said our goodbyes, thank you's, etc. and went our separate ways home.
It was such a blessing, it really was.
So, Robert has now met 4 families from my church and he really likes them all. I tell him he should come with me to church one day when there is a fellowship meal afterwards and get to know everyone else. He may.
Today was another blessing for me. I am so thankful that Yah allowed me this day.
I got to go to Covington Texas to meet another Mennonite sister (Leslie) and her family. Only took an hour to get to her home and I didn't get lost since it's near my church. :-)
I brought her an arrangement of roses in various colors.
We fellowshipped for about 3.5 hours...sweet fellowship it was. Her children are just precious gifts from Yah.
Got to see the farm critters (about a dozen chickens, 3 or 4 goats, 3 kids, a donkey, 2 dogs, 1 cat, a bird and some fish), their garden, and Leslie's SHARE project. She began SHARE (it's kind of like a mini thrift store of sorts. If you see something you like and want, go ahead and take it, it's donation based). The donations go to help her 10 year old boy Ethan who has Cerebal Palsy. It helps pay for his therapy, equipment, etc. Ethan is such a special little boy. Yah's hand is definitely on him. :-)
We had taco salad for lunch. I helped cut tomatoes. :-) It was very good. I am going to make taco salad either tomorrow or the next day for dinner.
Before I left, Leslie gave me some cookies, homemade bread, an Acapella music CD and a picture of her family to me. I love little stuff like that so it made me all warm and fuzzy inside...hee hee.
I am so thankful I got to fellowship with like minded folks twice in one week. It is such a huge encouragement for me.
My allergies are driving me batty today...I went to Wal-Greens and got some Benedryl and some tissues and took some Benedryl about an hour ago and now I feel so out of it. But it seems to be working, praise the LORD. Robert will take some later before bed as his allergies are doing the same thing to him...poor guy.
Robert's spring college classes end this week. He's happy about that. So am I. :-) He won't go back now till August.
I recently bought the DVD 'Love Takes Wing'. It goes along with the 'Love Comes Softly' series. Truth be told, I really didn't care for it. I guess it will be one of those movies I watch while writing letters or when I want to zone out.
Tomorrow we are taking the car back to the private mechanic we have. The coolant light came on on the dashboard (never has done that before) and there is more than enough coolant in there so we wonder what the problem could be. Might just be a bad sensor...our car is notorious for bad sensors.
Friday we take the rental car back. :-( I don't want to!!! :-) Robert would like to get a Prius one day but now that's he's driven this Dodge Caliber I think his mind may be changed. :-)
Well I will close here...the Benedryl is making me feel 'out there'.
You all take care. May Yah bless your socks off!!!
~Dawn

12 comments:
Man that was a little too much excitement!
Dawn
Have you ordered from Taitha's legacy (Sarah Burrell) at all? if you have , what is the quality like?
Thanks
Ruth parkinson
Wow, you have been busy, Dawn! We have a great mechanic we use... we are so blessed that he keeps our truck running! He is affordable, too. Sometimes I don't think he charges enough, so I bake him things! I am sorry you were dissapointed in Love Takes Wing. I liked it, but I agree it was not as good as some of the earlier ones. Have a blessed rest of the week!
Wow, Dawn! You've had a crazy, wonderful, crazy week hahahaha! We've been running ourselves ragged ~ spring on the farm is insane. I've never had a house or apartment fire but when I was in 6th grade when half of my school burned down. That was a shock!! We got two weeks off and then had to have lunch in our classrooms every day. McDonald's donated hamburgers and fries every Weds so that was cool :-) Each day two kids were chosen to go and fetch the food for the rest of the class from the impromtu kitchen down in the basement. After I left for junior high they rebuilt the other side of the school and then my kid sisters went there a couple of years later. I was like, "That place burned down when I was there!" and they thought that was a million years ago in their little kid minds LOL!!
How cool that you were mentioned in The Budget newspaper! I wrote to them and asked if they would put my address in the paper so I could find an Amish pen pal but they sent my letter back. :-(
Hi Dawn,
Just wanted to let you know a good many of your links in the blogroll are broken/closed :o)
Paula
What is a fried pie and what is a taco salad?
Praise God you and your Hubby are all right! A private Mechanic thats what we need. We have had to take our Van in to be fixed so much. My husband is not good with this sort of thing. We are so close to moving now! We will be just a bit closer! have a blessed day Dawn
Debylin
Sorry to hear about the fire,very glad no one was hurt.
I watched the first movie from the "Love Comes Softly" series, and I did not like it at all. Michael,Jr. seems to have the same problem his father had, and that is taking things out of context. Can't stick to the book's story line. I don't like that.
I read that you like penpals, what about e-mail pals?? I would like to write you and have you write me. We are like minded.
creativefashions2000@yahoo.ca is my e-mail address.
JudyLynn
hey! is the picture in the header your living room ? :) :) :)
You still alive, Dawn??
Post a Comment