BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 4, 2008

The Age of Deception


And Jesus answered and said unto them, take heed that no man deceive you.
Matthew 24:4


The last days, Jesus says, will be characterized by the multiplication of false doctrines and deceptive cults. How significant and arresting this warning is in the light of the amazing increase in new and exotic sects, cults, isms, and religious fantasies. Never before has there been such confusion of tongues. No matter how fantastic, fanatical, or even satanic these movements may be, they do not lack followers. There are some 350 different sects, cults, denominations, and nondenominational groups in America today, all of them quoting the Bible. They all claim the guidance of the Spirit, yet they differ with one another. Is it any wonder that men are confused and are asking, “What can we believe anyway?” “Who, after all, is right?” “Where can truth be found?”

The test is this: “Is it the Word of God or the addition of men?” The moment we accept the word of man instead of the Bible, we will be led astray. Anything added to the Word of God is false and dangerous.

Jesus said that as it was before the flood, so shall it be at the time of His second coming. The days before the flood must have been days of great deception. In spite of Noah’s powerful preaching and witnessing, the world would not believe the Word of God. When the flood came, there were only eight people who were saved. There was good preaching in those days. The people had a chance to hear. We read in Jude how Enoch preached coming judgment, but the world paid little heed. Noah too was a preacher of righteousness. Jesus said as it was then, it will be again. One cannot miss the parallel. There is no lack of preaching today, and yet comparatively few are heeding the warning. Be not deceived!


Simon Overholt, Auburn, KY

If you have a close walk with God, you will not be deceived.
The term 'cult' is thrown around loosely in our day and age.
We might see a family dressed modestly out at Wal-Mart and think 'hmmm they might be in a cult', or you see a woman with uncut hair and no makeup, jewelry and think 'she's in a cult because they won't let her beautify herself'.
Come on now... yes, the Pentecostal, Holiness, Full Gospel, Amish, Mennonite, Hutterite, Brethren, Apostolic churches and even some IFB churches, the ladies don't do those things but it doesn't mean that the Pastor made them do that.
Unfortunatly many churches do have Pastor's that say a woman or a man for that matter is on their way to Hell because of this or that (which is wrong by the way, it should be the Holy Spirit that leads people to a more modest life, not man and a long set of rules to follow), but if you really get to know a person and find out why they do or dress the way they do, it is most likely the workings of the Holy Spirit in their life. It's a blessing to see indeed in our immodest culture.
Because of all the doctrines and dogmas in the church world today, we need to ready ourselves in His Word and always be ready to give an answer like the Bible says.
If you can spend an hour online or in front of the television, you can spend an hour in your Bible, studying and researching what you really believe is true. :-)
The church I got saved in has been labeled as a cult on the Internet. Everyone has their own opinions I guess.
Because their are Christians who 'come out from among the world and are separate', we are lumped together as being in some type of cult. We don't look like the rest of 'normal' society so we must be in some weird cultish group locked up behind barbed wire and locked gates! LOL.
Anyway, I am just saying before you pass judgement (another loose term thrown around by our world today) on someone for being different, remember that we are trying to live our life for the Lord as He leads. Instead of scowls and frowns and gawking, offer a supportive smile or 'hello'. We may be different on the outside but we don't bite. :-) We are actually normal human beings with bills to pay, mouths to feed, children to discipline, husbands to take care of, houses to clean and so forth. And we are doing our best to serve the Most High as He leads us on this journey. Pray for us and we will pray for you.
Monday blessings where it's 111 degrees!!! : - /
~ Dawn

20 comments:

Laura Ashley said...

I certainly don't dress like you, but I would never think you were in a cult. And I wouldn't think that about any woman dressed plainly. Now I do think the FLDS is a cult. But that has nothing to do with what they wear, it has to do with their "religion". Obviously no one is telling you how to dress or act.

motherofmany said...

Very true.

And I think just as dangerous as adding to the Word is taking away. SOOOO many issues are glossed over today by making the Bible irrelevant. If we're going to stand on the Word, we have to stand on the whole of it, because taking bits and pieces out makes the whole thing crumble. It is either the Word of G-d, complete and true, or it is not, which means we can't trust any of it.

Patty said...

The difference may be in either being TOLD by man to do something and being TOLD by God from His word to do something. Modesty comes in so many ways, in our words, our deeds, and yes our dress. But a uniform style dress is perhaps a man made thing, since we are given no direction other than to be modest in the scriptures. That might be why so many view "plain" folks as cultish. Its a man made directive to dress with a certain style dress and covering.
Many orthodox Jewish women carry modesty to the letter of the law shall we say, and yet follow no uniform in dress other than rules of what can show. I have had so many comments on how I dressed when in the plain community, and found in the long run, it was better for me, not saying it is for anyone else, but for me to NOT draw so much attention to myself by dressing "plain". Modest yes but that can be in a way that doesn't look so obvious. A long skirt, vest if you wish, nice long sleeve top and a scarf hardly cause a person to look at you. No cult association at all and it is your life that shows, more than your style. I like that.

CunninghamRules!! said...

What a great post! I really enjoyed reading it! Thank you for your honest words.

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly! We have some very good friends who were accused of having joined a cult just because they were no longer attending the same church as the rest of the husband's family. Sad.

That's a very hot day indeed! Even though I am in FL, the weather here this year has been okay-only a few really hot days and the rest have been fairly moderate (for FL). We usually stay indoors until around 5pm or so and then head out to play for a couple of hours. It's worked out well so far. If it was 111-I don't think I'd head outdoors at all!

Anonymous said...

I can relate to the word cult being thrown around to much. I get round about comments from my own family and it puzzles me. You would think I was walking around with a thong and my rear hanging out the way they make me feel so strange because I dress the way that I do. Because I put on a long skirt and dress modestly with a headcovering they think I have joined some unknown cult and have been brainwashed.

The reality is that those who dress this way have been lead to do so. It's a very serious and huge decision for someone to make. It's like changing for many. I can say that I dress more like the Orthodox Jewish women because I don't dress Amish. AND I still get looks when I am out.

I think just from those who I know they are fearing something they know nothing about. So it's very easy to just turn around and say it's a cult. If they educated themselves they wouldn't think that at all.

The Lord never said it would be easy to live like this so we just have to forge forward and hold our heads up high. It's tough to do but like you said if we spend time in prayer we can find the will to keep going!

Praise Jesus!

DonnaB said...

I got asked this summer at my children's ball games if I was Mennonite because I wore dresses all the time. The question surprised me because the lady who asked me must have thought no one would dress that way unless it was a religious requirement. But no, I just feel led by my Lord to be covered neck to knee. This was a good post!

Anonymous said...

So I have to ask. According to the quote on your page.

(It is not us who have changed our dress and choose to dress 'old fashion', it is the world who changed their dress and follow the fashions of the world.)

Does this mean because I dress modest but do not dress "old fashion" I'm of the world?

I ask this because this is how I'm treated at times.

My skirts come below my knees and my blouse is buttoned to the top.

I have typed this over 3 times. I don't want to offend anyone. I understand the few ladies I know are not the norm. But, they are for my area. They complain about every little thing. No one is nice enough and no one is helpful enough. Plus they giggle all the time at the people that look at them. Yes, people look. It's hard not to when 3 women are walking around with there nose in the air.

I just get the feeling there are times that women that dress "old fashion" seem to think they are better Christians and put them selves above those who do not dress "old fashion".

I hope I didn't offend. But that one quote hit me wrong. So I figured I'd ask. Does my modest dress make me less of a Christian?

Anna said...

Loved the quote & photo at the top of the page. :)

Guess what, I get to quit my job at the end of September! YAY!

I get to be happily unemployed.

~Anna

Anonymous said...

How significant and arresting this warning is in the light of the amazing increase in new and exotic sects, cults, isms, and religious fantasies. Never before has there been such confusion of tongues. No matter how fantastic, fanatical, or even satanic these movements may be, they do not lack followers. There are some 350 different sects, cults, denominations, and nondenominational groups in America today, all of them quoting the Bible. They all claim the guidance of the Spirit, yet they differ with one another. ~quoted~

Dawn, your post needs to be filled out more. What did you base your facts from, for example? A sermon? Real study? If the latter, it would be helpful if you would identify at least 10 of the 350 'wayward' (my term) ways leading men and women to hell.

Your lines about those in the Mennonite, IFB, Amish, etc. being plagued because of how they dress, being it is modest is also a big generalization. The muslim community are very modest, and I've the opportunity to get to know a couple of those women. They are no less modest than you or the groups you describe yet....they certainly are not serving Yahweh.

Woman can put on anything she wants to be modest and still be going to hell.

Your post needs more of a stronger 'argument' for what you're addressing, for it is certainly provocative.

If you believe you and others are truly judged by your looks and don't believe that 'calling attention' doesn't come from your clothing.....then think on this: if something stands in the way of being approachable (thinking your cape coat you showed many months ago -- just looks like a coven member would wear that) - then what do you think? "Oh, poor souls. They don't understand."? Or could it be that you have put a barrier up so that nobody could find you attractive?? Are you afraid of your femininity?

Not an atack on the amish nor mennonite communities or the FLDS. However, so often you tie in your experiences 'out and about' with your persecution and dress. Whom are you reaching? Those in the church walls?

As has been said before me.....a woman can be beautifully dressed and modest. If it truly is your call to dress in the fashion you do, in all humility, then why are you tying in 'end times' persecution with only christians who are dressed UNIFORMLY???? That is not even in the Word.

I believe, since God knows hearts and all, you and I (among everyone else) are in for a pleasant surprise who'll be entering heaven and sitting at the wedding feast. I'll clue you in:

THEY'RE NOT ALL GONNA HAVE WORN THE CLOTHING OF THE GROUPS YOU HAVE TERMED "PERSECUTED" in this post.

God's peace.

Dawn said...

Dearest Rebecca,

I guess I have heard it all too often about when I wear a dress or a long skirt that I am old fashion because most of the world doesn't *do* that anymore.
Havent you been called old fashion because of that? :-)
It's funny because before I went plain I would wear a skirt and blouse bought probably from Cato or Goodwill and get the comments about how old fashion I was.
I was just trying to obey God and be modest...lol.

I think the world finds it odd that there many of us who don't want to follow the popular trends of society, but want to cover themselves up for modesty purposes, for God, for their husbands, etc and because of that we may be labeled as legalists or old fashion or 'stuck back in time'.

Rebecca I think you are a wonderful example of a woman of God regardless of what you wear.
Keep yourself humble before our Lord and don't fall into that trap of the 'I am better than you because I wear a skirt' type attitude. I have seen that all too often in a church I used to go too a few years ago. :-/
Your dress or what not doesn't make you any more or any less of a Christian than me my friend.
Clothing doesn't make us any more closer to God.
You keep wearing what you are wearing and I will keep wearing what I am wearing and together we will serve the Lord!

Hugs,
Dawn

P.S. I hope I answered your question. I knew what I wanted to say but I don't think it came out right on here. :-)

Dawn said...

My answers are in **

Eileen wrote,


How significant and arresting this warning is in the light of the amazing increase in new and exotic sects, cults, isms, and religious fantasies. Never before has there been such confusion of tongues. No matter how fantastic, fanatical, or even satanic these movements may be, they do not lack followers. There are some 350 different sects, cults, denominations, and nondenominational groups in America today, all of them quoting the Bible. They all claim the guidance of the Spirit, yet they differ with one another. ~quoted~

Dawn, your post needs to be filled out more. What did you base your facts from, for example? A sermon? Real study? ** from a devotional book called Beside the Still Waters**

If the latter, it would be helpful if you would identify at least 10 of the 350 'wayward' (my term) ways leading men and women to hell.
** With all due respect I don't have all day to be online. Like you I have a home to manage and things to do. You know as well as I do there are many cults hiding under the Christian Church name. Cults who are run by the main one man (Pastor) who is out to control and manipulate folks so bad that they can't do anything unless the Pastor says so. **

Your lines about those in the Mennonite, IFB, Amish, etc. being plagued ** I never said plauged, please don't put words in my post that are not there**
because of how they dress, being it is modest is also a big generalization. The muslim community are very modest, and I've the opportunity to get to know a couple of those women. They are no less modest than you or the groups you describe yet....they certainly are not serving Yahweh.

Woman can put on anything she wants to be modest and still be going to hell. **agreed**

Your post needs more of a stronger 'argument' for what you're addressing, for it is certainly provocative. ** well for one I don't try to argue because it doesn't solve anything, but I will in future posts try to write more. I did have more to say yesterday for this post but I had a brain leak and didn't remember, so I just left it as is. **


If you believe you and others are truly judged by your looks ** I can't talk for the 'others' but I really don't care one way or another what people think about me**

and don't believe that 'calling attention' doesn't come from your clothing.....then think on this: if something stands in the way of being approachable (thinking your cape coat you showed many months ago -- just looks like a coven member would wear that) - then what do you think? ** it's a fleece cape and believe it or not women of old wore them to keep warm. Would you like me to freeze in the winter because someone might assume I am a pagan because of my cape? That's ridiculous.
If they want to think I am a pagan for wearing something like that that keeps me warm then by all means they have every right, but come on, aren't you being a little dramatic now? **

"Oh, poor souls. They don't understand."? ** I don't think that at all. **

Or could it be that you have put a barrier up so that nobody could find you attractive?? ** what? LOL. Are you kidding me? Since heeding the call to go plain I have never had more people approach me in my whole life. It's great! My style of dress is hardly a barrier. **

Are you afraid of your femininity?
** Nope, but I also am not about to flaunt my every bump and curve out to the rest of the world too oogle over **

Not an atack on the amish nor mennonite communities or the FLDS. However, so often you tie in your experiences 'out and about' with your persecution and dress. ** again I never said anything about persecutions, please quit putting that word in my post because it's not there. I tell my bloggers at times some of the reactions I get because some of my bloggers are new to covering and plain dress and want to know what to expect. So, when it comes to mind I jot it down. **

Whom are you reaching? ** as many as I can with a hello, a how are you with the neighbor next door, s simple 'God Bless You' to a distraught cashier, with helping the elderly with their things, with smiling and saying a prayer for the frazzled mom at Target, the people who approach me wanting to know more about my covering and my faith and where I worship at, it's a door wide open to share what God has done in my life and left them know He loves them very much. **

Those in the church walls? **hardly, I am still trying to find a church. Pray for me. As you can imagine there are many churches too choose from**

As has been said before me.....a woman can be beautifully dressed and modest. If it truly is your call to dress in the fashion you do, in all humility, then why are you tying in 'end times' persecution with only christians who are dressed UNIFORMLY????
** There you go again with the word persecution . I am hardly persecuted but free, free to be who God has called me to be. Are you? **


That is not even in the Word.

I believe, since God knows hearts and all, you and I (among everyone else) are in for a pleasant surprise who'll be entering heaven and sitting at the wedding feast. I'll clue you in:

THEY'RE NOT ALL GONNA HAVE WORN THE CLOTHING OF THE GROUPS YOU HAVE TERMED "PERSECUTED" in this post.

** Well of course! Look you may have me lumped together with all the other 'dresses only' ladies who believe that unless you are in a skirt you are on the way to hell. THAT'S NOT ME! I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I will be sitting along side a pants wearing, sun tanning, hair dying, jewelry wearing woman up in Glory. Why? Because she accepted the Lord's invitiation in her heart and lived her life to serve Him.
I know I will be sitting next to the tattooed biker, the man in a tank top and capri's up in Glory and why? Because they heeded the calling of Christ.
I don't look on the outside and think everyone's going to hell because they aren't plain.
Living for God is a constant growing process and we all will continue to grow until we here the words 'well done my good and faithful servant'.
Modesty begins on the inside and manifests itself on the outside.
Modesty comes in many forms, dress, capri's, loose pants, blosues, etc. It's not just cape dresses and jumpers. **

God's peace.

PlainCatholic said...

The same world that mocked Jesus and His Followers will mock us. In the Beattitudes, we are reminded that the persecuted will be rewarded for so they treated the prophets and Jesus before us.

So every time someone becomes sarcastic or derogatory I thank them for blessing me. It leaves them confused and prevents me from popping off.

Anonymous said...

My comments were not given in a sarcastic tone, but one of sincere honesty. When a blog post is as broad across the spectrum as this one is, it is helpful to share 'footnotes', if you will.

Wearing dresses only is not the true reason for persecution. I get persecuted for my faith as well, as Jesus tells us it will be so, for following Him.

My latter end of my comment earlier was to stress a more observant view: I have never come across any difficulty wearing skirts and dresses, in terms of it negating my love for Christ in how the world sees me.

If one chooses cape dresses and coverings, one must know the enemy will want to attack that person through mockery and the like.

If, in by no means intended, our manner seems offensive, or....to be taken as belonging to a cult, then we individually need to examine our own hearts' intent.

My observations that this blogger ties in persecution consistently with how she dresses is accurate, if you go through her archives. It is time to realize that a) this is the fun push-button Satan may have on this blogger and by no means should she discontinue her 'worship' of God in her dress.

When her persecution gets 'lumped', if you will, with other groups of folks wearing dresses only, then she speaks as if for ALL of them in asking for understanding, although understandable itself, I simply wondered aloud here what and why the END TIMES were tied in.

We have been in THE END TIMES for many decades, as years to us is but a breath to God.

Dawn....you said some dramatic things at the opening of this post, and it is my hope you will expound those thoughts. AS AN ENCOURAGEMENT to fully explain it so as to not seem as though you are lumping unconnected things together with your personal persecution trials.

I know I'm blunt. I know it comes out weird. But...please. MOVE ON. Live in the peace you claim you have over this.

Plain Catholic took an easy shot at somebody she doesn't know.

I am 46. Married 23 years. Two grown children and an 11 year old autistic boy.

It may be hard for some to wrap their brains around this but....I have some WISDOM in not having to explain ourselves and JUST BE.

My remark about the wedding feast in Heaven was purposely done to draw the attention to the fact that your post comes across slanted. I know you are not slanted, but I was hoping to shed a light bulb on what did appear slanted.

I absolutely have no shame that I don't worry nor fret over sharing what's from my heart. Straight out.

I only addressed the femininity issue, because some of your reasonings say more in emotions than words.

I wish you well, as usual, as you know I sent you a recent email.

Just please realize what you type and what I type have certain effects, obviously.

My last comment was provocative ON PURPOSE, to show how easily our words can be erroneously portrayed.

I'm done. Really.

Michelle Therese said...

I'm so tired I can hardly type. I might have to come back and comment some more tomorrow. But I can't resist commenting at least a bit for now...

What we wear does not save us. Only the Grace of GOD saves us.

However, we Christians have a *duty* to bear good fruit once we understand what is expected of us.

If a Christian somehow doesn't know that they are to dress modestly in order to avoid causing the opposite sex to lust after their body, then sure ~ God is not exactly going to hold them accountable for causing lust.

But ya know what? If you're a Christian that's "in the know" and you understand your responsitilities (respon..si..bil..i..ties.. Did I spell that right?) ANYWAY, if you are mature enough in the Christian faith and you KNOW what is expected of you as a Christian then you can't try and cop out with, "God doesn't care what I wear!" or other such nonsense.

"THERE NOT ALL GONNA HAVE WORN THE CLOTHING OF THE GROUPS YOU HAVE TERMED "PERSECUTED" in this post"

Yeah, maybe so. Maybe if we make it to heaven we'll find ourselves sitting next to a mini-skirt chick or some naked jungle dude but you know what? How many of the immodestly dressed people, WHO KNEW BETTER, are going to be burning in hell for the sin of adultry and/or causing adultry because they did not love their neighbor as themself enough to cover up??

We have a duty to help each other avoid the flames of hell. This involves telling the truth. If telling the truth offends folk, too bad. So if you know better, then make sure you toe the line regarding modesty because God is going to ask you to make an accounting of your entire life! Yeah, there's no set "uniform" in the Scriptures but it doesn't take a stinkin' degree in Rocket Science to figure out what *is* modest in our culture and what is *not* modest. If what you wear causes lust in another, or even in yourself, then don't wear it. Period. Deal with it.

Goodnight!

Motherofmany said...

at any rate, i think your posts are wonderful and thought provoking! i have gleaned all sorts of wonderful advice from your stories.

Michelle Therese said...

Good morning Dawn! I'm slightly more awake now and I hope you won't mind a long comment... I was too tired to finish last night.

In regards to the idea that somehow a specific type of modest dress makes us Christians "unapproachable" and sets up a "barrier" that keeps us from spreading the gospel: Christ repeatedly told us, and so did Saint Paul, that we *are* to be set apart from the secular world. We Christians are told to be a "city set upon a hil" ~ we are not meant to be "just like everyone else." Cities set on hills do not blend in very well...

If we Christians are blending in with the secular world then we are obviously doing something wrong and instead of being defensive towards those who dare point this out, we need to get a grip on our pride and fix whatever it is that's making us *not* be recognizable as a follower of Christ. (and thus not a follower of the world.)

If this causes persecution, why should we be surprised? Why should we worry that we have somehow "crated a barrier" between ourselves and those of the secular world? Jesus Himself said: "I have given them thy word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world..." (John 12:14) Jesus told us point-blank that we Christians were *not* to be of the worlda nd for this we would suffer persecution either personal or from governmental powers. He Himself said that he came to set mother against daughter, father against son... "For I have come to set a man agasint his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-lat against her mother-in-law; and a man's foes will be those of his own household..." (Mat 10:35)

Jesus didn't say, "I've come to make everyone all warm and fuzzy so they can sail through life without suffering pain because of their faith in Me." ("...and he who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me..." Taking up our cross denotes PAIN and SUFFERING...)

So if in living our Christian faith we even find ourselves at odds with our own closest family members, this does not mean that we are doing something wrong and we have to wear more worldly clothes etc in order to "be more approachable." It means we are to stick to our guns and continue to ONLY serve the Lord our God no matter WHO comes after us "...He who loves father or mother more then me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more then me is not worhty of me; and he who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for my sake will find it." (Mat. 10: 37 - 39)

Yeah, Jesus did not sit down and draw up a bunch of fashion plates and thus create some kind of "Christian Uniform" that we are all to wear. But like I said before, it doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out what is and is not "modest" in our individual cultures. Demanding of one who you think is criticizing you, "If the hem of my skirt goes this far below my knee does that mean I'm not modest enough in YOUR eyes..." is a pointless waste of time. Why? Because we need to be asking this question of GOD, not our fellow creatures.

It's pure common sense: if you're banging around in the jungle with a bunch of naked people, obviously nudity is not all that sexual to these folk and your knee-length skirt and collar-bone exposing shirt is not exactly going to get them excited.

But if you live somewhere where a woman's calves, long flowing hair, neck, breasts, curves etc *are* considered sexual ~ and thus inspire LUST ~ then quit whining about "feeling judged" by other Christians and toe the line. In other words, my fellow Christians, we are to GROW UP and stop acting like sensative little girls and start behaving like the *women* that God has created us to be. Even the bible states that we are to move from milk to meat...

If people don't like what you are doing when you LIVE your Christian faith and serve God ALONE, too bad. We are not allowed to compromise on our faith in order to "be more approachable". We are to stand firm and not waiver and to SPEAK THE HOLY TRUTH OF THE GOSPEL: "And if any one will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet as you leave that house or town. Truly, I say to you, it shall be more tolerable on the day of judgement for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah then for that town." (Mat 10:14)

Note how Jesus doesn't say, "Compromise your faith in Me so that you can become buddies with them..." No, He tell us to try our best to share the gospel and if that fails then leave the stubborn proud sods to GOD. (Sucks to be them on judgement day...)

Also, do no forget the Bible's warning about luke-warm Christians: "I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth..." (Rev. 3:16) My fellow Christian ladies, keep THAT in mind if you feel tempted to raise the hem line, drop the neck line, hug the curves just a bit, let down the hair so that it flows oh-so-beautifully etc all so that you can "be more approachable" to the secular world around us... Seriously, God is watching! And He has not left us to guess for ourselves what must be done in the name of modesty ~ He has spelled it out very clearly in the Bible.

If you adopt a mode of dress that is uniform-like, that doesn't mean you're being legalistic. Uniforms help to remove competition and let's admit reality: we women can be downright catty and competative and some Christian communities have tried to solve this problem by incorporating a standard of dress with very few options.

Last, but certainly not least, Jesus gave us the commandment to "Love your neighbor as you love yourself." We VIOLATE that commandment when we cause a man to lust after our bodies because Jesus said that, "But I say to you that every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin plick itout and throw it away; it is better that you lose one of your members then that your whole body be thrown into hell." (Mat. 5:28-29)

What kind of Christian are we if we do not love our neigbhor enough to spare him HELL? This entire modesty thing is wrapped up in loving our neighbor and helping him to obey the Sixth Commandment. If we do not avoid causing lust in men around us because we are more concerned about "being approachable" and we feel "judged" because of our sinfulness, then we are obviously NOT living our Christian faith. We are obviously lukewarm and we will be spewed from God's mouth. It's that simple, ladies ~ just read the bible and you'll see that for yourself!

Wisdom begins with the *fear* of the Lord. Our God is an awesome God ~ He is *not* our buddy.

Michelle Therese said...

P.S. I forgot to add a final important point from the Bible:

"And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, 'Teacher, waht shall I do to inherit eternal life?'"

He said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read?"

And he [the lawyer] replied, "You shall love the Lord your God with all of your strength, and with all of your mind: and your neighbor as yourself."

And he [Jesus] said to him, "You have answered right; do this, and you will live."

We not only place a man at risk for damnation but also keep in mind that if, in our willful immodesty, we violate the commandment to love our neighbor as we love ourselves, we put our own souls at risk.

It's not about what others think or feel. It's about what God has commanded us to do.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I missed all this heated discussion over the past days.

I think what we need to really look at is the way we dress not the style of dress. Being modest can look many ways as we've discussed here already with Orthodox Jews, Muslims, FLDS, Amish and such.

Believe it or not the most positive thing that comes out of dressing modestly is the most negative. Why? Well because when you do get the "looks" or "attention" from others it at times opens dialog and discussion from their curiousity. Perfect oportunity to bring the importance of the Lord into a persons life.

The only people who I seem to get attacked from are the militant feminist. But you know they are in their own world and I feel bad for them because they are so angry at the world. What a horrible way to live.

Dawn, I love your blog. The fact that you open up your personal thoughts/views to all of us is wonderful. Many of us are going through periods in our lives that are major changes/adjustments and it's great to be able to find others to share our inner thoughts with freely.

God Bless
Christine

Joanna said...

"I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I will be sitting along side a pants wearing, sun tanning, hair dying, jewelry wearing woman up in Glory. Why? Because she accepted the Lord's invitation in her heart and lived her life to serve Him."
May I simply say this is a dangerous position to take? One does not reach heaven unless they obey the Lord. So we "accept the Lord's invitation in our heart and live to serve Him" but we go on in our life not keeping the commands of the Lord, does our supposed living to serve Him hold any water? Those who enter heaven are those who do the Lord's will. I just really don't believe we can say something like this, Dawn, when the
Lord says something else. It's part of the modern gospel that separates salvation from our lifestyle. "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil. And hereby we do know that we know him if we keep his commandments. He that saith I know him and keepeth not his commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him." The Bible is plain and clear - we need to be saying what Christ is saying.